• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions for unique magic items to hand out?

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Jondor_Battlehammer said:
Half-Elf Sorcerer

Ring/Rod/Wonderous item that has imbeded int it a paticular spell(s). While wearing it, he may cast it as if it were a spell known.
I agree! Look at my previous post for details on the item. ;)

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Robe of Butterflies - when activated a clould of brightly colored butterflies pours out of the deep sleaves and surrounds the wielder - provides a 20% miss chance - as cloak of displacement minor 24k

Bracers of the Warlord +4 Str, +4 to intimidate, allow the wearer to speak in a magnified voice, which is clearly audible across a battle field. 1/day shout (voice is no longer amplified after use.)

Helm of the Eagle
a dramatic swept back helm in the shape of and eagles head, it provides +4 to spot and feather fall 1/day

Outsiders Eye: The eye must be seated in an empty eye socket to function (fully). It sees as well as the owners other eye, providing low light or darkvison only if the wearer already has it. It provides a +2 to overcomer SR, and the owner can use a standard action to learn a creatures elemental resitances and immunities. The wielder may use the second power without replaceing his or her actuall eye. The eye may still be connected to its original owner who may be able to scry through it occasionally.

yennico

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
Two handed sword that casts maze on a confirmed critical.
This reminds me of an old monster. IIRC a brass golem in form of a minotaur with an axe. The special ability of the golem was that the gem in the axe casts the maze spell.

Drakmar

Explorer
in my campaign, I have as part of the loot of a Swamp/Poison/Illusion God's Temple be a Falchion (I'm calling it a Khopesh) +1 , Obscuring Mist 3/day. My world is magic light so this will be a big item.

probably will even name it.. and it has lots of snake motif stuff all over it.

Shallown

First Post
I always liked to give away the weapons rings.

They are a set of matching rings except for size. One is a normal finger ring and the other about the size of a Napkin ring. The napkin ring would expand to fit over the handle/haft of a weapon and the other ring was worn. As a free action it would teleport the weapon to the person's hand ready for use. So it worked sort of like gloves of storing but was handy for people who got disarmed or who had to travel around unarmed in a town there main weapon was always within 'Reach" range was 1 mile on the teleport.

I always liked different figurines of power based on other animals or things like I had a wagon the party had that would shrink into figurine form along with what was inside. I did make it something that had to stay open at least an hour when expanded to full size just to avoid potential abuses but for the most part it worked cool. It was also self propelled for up to 8 hours a day and followed simple directions like follow someone or follow this road etc.

I like the idea of a bag of tricks that pulls out construct/effigy equivalents of the animals listed. You could also do an elemental one with paraelementals or an undead one lots of possibilities there.

Just a few ideas

later

Oryan77

Adventurer
Just so you guys know, I snatched about 10 different suggestion from this thread so far. There were some really unique ideas that I never would have thought of. Thanks a lot.

Now I just need to figure out how I'm going to hand some of this stuff out without it being obvious that I selected items specifically for a character. :cool:

Whimsical

Explorer
Oryan77 said:
That's really weird you mentioned that item for the Monk. He's a Dwarven monk that took Earth related feats from Races of Stone and is all about the earth element. I didn't even concider an item like that. Great idea. Earth Mastery is just like the Earth Adept feat from RoS.
Here's some other suggestions for the earth monk.

He can use a stunning fist action to entomb his opponent instead of stun. Check out the Entomber from the Libris Mortis for the mechanics of this effect. When I was playing, it had me say "that's so cool!" when it was being used against us.

Whimsical

Explorer
For the minotaur, a Huge great sword that a Large Minotar can wield as if it were a Large great sword...because it's weightless. If you drop the sword, it instead stays in the air in front of you, as if it was continuously affected by levitate. As a benefit you can "drop" the sword, do something that requires both of your hands, then rearm yourself as a free action at the end of your round. Essentially, you can quickdraw the sword if it's just floating around you within your natural reach.

Last edited:

Whimsical

Explorer
For the cleric, something that when he yells out "Can I get an 'Amen'?", it compels all creatures within a 120' spread to cry out "Amen!" if they fail their will save against this sonic language-based mind-affecting compusion. It helps reveal hidden opponents around you. :) It also effects those who didn't/couldn't resist as if they were affected by a prayer spell cast by the cleric. Other than that, I like the idea of a shield and mace that grants extra bonuses when they are being used together. Also, make sure that either one can be used as a holy symbol when casting spells or turning undead.

Whimsical

Explorer
I like the idea of giving the sorcerer something that allows him use his spell slots for something other than his spells. One thing that I can think of is spells that form a logical spell chain, such as a Rod of Monster Summoning that can have the sorcerer cast Summon Monster I, SM II, SM III,... Summon Monster IV, as if he had all of these spells as part of his personal spell list. While holding the rod, he just uses a spell slot to cast the respective spell. A third level spell slot to cast Summon Monster III, for example. Of course, he's not able to cast a level of the spell that is higher than he can normally cast.

One thing that I would add to such an item is the metamagic ability to increase the duration to the next duration category if you cast one of these spells two levels higher than it is. So a Summon Monster I spell could last 1 minute/level as a 3rd level spell, 10 minutes/level as a 5th level spell, or 1 hour/level as a 7th level spell. So, you could have a low CR traps monkey walk in front of the party, trigger any pit traps, draw any ambush attacks, open doors, pick up items, etc. Or you can have creatures guard you while you camp.

I think that I would also have the rod grant to the wielder the ability to speak, understand, read, & write Celestial, Infernal, [Aquatic], Auran, Ignan, and Terran.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads