• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

suggestions needed for a character

garethjax

First Post
Hello there,

i'm absolutely new to the forum and i need some guidance. There a group i would like to join and they play AD&D 2nd edition (quite strange considering the year we live in, but the GM is fond of that edition and who am i to judge the GM?).

I played ADnd in the past, but i have more experience in the 3rd and 3.5 editions, so i need some recommendations on which class of character should i play.

- Level: 6th or 7th
- Setting: they started in forgotten realms but according to the GM they are travelling through the planes.
- role: i was thinking of playing a Mercenary who is hired as the bodyguard of a magic user of the group. Think about "Bronn" of AGOT: neutral and witty.
- skills and powers: i'm open to suggestion, i would like to have some character which is good at fighting but also is resourceful in a couple of other fields.

Could anybody help me ?

Ahnehnois

First Post
It's not that strange. There are definitely people out there still playing 2e, and there are good reasons to do so.

I am not a 2e expert, but I would think either a straight fighter or a fighter/thief (available to a halfling or elf, I think) would be the logical class choices. The good news in terms of being resourceful in other fields is that NWPs are pretty open-ended; in some ways less restricted than class skills would be. Hard to suggest which ones because of that.

Olfan

First Post
My first character ever was a dwarf fighter in 2e. I still name all my CRPG characters after him. I went dual-wielding, but what I would do if I could go back is to take weapon specialization for a two hander like a great axe. You'll get second attacks much faster than anyone else. Put your biggest numbers into strength and con and you'll be doing insane damage (for 2nd edition).

Just a suggestion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads