Suggestions needed...

a2ndchapter

Tabletop Scotland & Polyhedral Press Overlord
amaril said:
I'm just trying to understand your limits here. Why wouldn't it happen for his birthday, and why does he need something instantly playable? FYI, the Eberron Campaign Setting comes with a first-level adventure that kicks off a campaign continued in the Eberron modules Shadows of the Last War, Whispers of the Vampire's Blade, and Grasp of the Emerald Claw.
Instantly playable as I sense that this might be a make or break time for him and his gaming so really looking for something that's going to pull him in and encourage him (and his group) to game.
I wasn't aware that the Eberron Campaign Setting had a scenario included so that might put it back in the reckoning.

Some of the other stuff mentioned, particularly the Paizo stuff, is harder to get over here in the UK. Unless I got it from Amazon which is always an option.

Thanks for all the advice even if I'm being a bit cryptic. Any others that spring to mind would be appreciated.

Well, not to sound like I'm an Eberron fanboy, but my reason for choosing it was because of several key reasons.

1. I could be a part of it from the ground up.
2. It is analogous to modern society overlayed on top of medieval society, which makes it easy for DMs and players to perceive how life in the setting feels.
3. Adventures and plots reflect your favorite pulp, noir, action, adventure, and/or fantasy movies.
4. The setting is a sort of compilation of some of the best fantasy ideas presented in other settings, which allows for a lot of flexibility and a myriad of campaign ideas. You'll hear a lot of people say that Eberron doesn't present anything new, but what they forget to realize is that it's intended to take many (though not necessarily all) of the ideas you love and bring them together cohesively.
3. It seems to be more a setting that invokes more socially awareness than conventional settings, meaning that the recent history, current politics, social issues, etc. built into the setting invokes more conscientious roleplaying in terms of how players perceive their socio-political environment. That's not to say that it forces it down anyone's throat, just that it's there for those who enjoy those things.

The hardest part is adapting to the differences that Eberron presents when compared to traditional, core D&D. However, as I've noticed with my players, they learn quickly enough and really learn to dig deeper into the setting as they learn more about it.

Glyfair

Explorer
amaril said:
The hardest part is adapting to the differences that Eberron presents when compared to traditional, core D&D. However, as I've noticed with my players, they learn quickly enough and really learn to dig deeper into the setting as they learn more about it.

Of course, the less entrenched the gamer, the more attractive Eberron is. The world has a more "modern" feel than most D&D settings. The flavor is directly influenced by Europe after WWI. So, the politics are more easy to relate to than most D&D/d20 fantasy settings.

Two adventure options would be Red Hand of Doom (generic) or Eyes of the Lich Queen (Eberron). Both cover several levels worth of adventures, but aren't the massive undertakings that the Paizo adventure paths are. RHoD even has sort of a mini-setting as part of the adventure.

The biggest disadvantage of the two modules is that they both start above first level. If the players are comfortable with that, no problem. If not, you might want to get some filler adventiures to work them up to the appropriate levels.

Last edited:

Glyfair said:
Of course, the less entrenched the gamer, the more attractive Eberron is. The world has a more "modern" feel than most D&D settings. The flavor is directly influenced by Europe after WWI. So, the politics are more easy to relate to than most D&D/d20 fantasy settings.
I was referring to the variant rules and exceptions such as clerics being able to cast spells of opposite alignment, orcs not being evil by default and actually being a playable race along with other monstrous humanoids and goblinoids, paladins being more tolerant of evil and not slaughtering entire towns who have a slight corrupt socio-political nature, healing and raise dead being difficult to come by, most temple clergy being experts rather than clerics or even adepts, other demographic changes, etc.

Stormborn

Explorer
Festivus said:
I have a few suggestions you could look at:

Red Hand of Doom - A megamodule / minicampaign that is mostly overland adventure with a few dungeons thrown in. Advantage is that it's going to cost less than War of the Burning Sky, but won't have enough material to run as long as the WotBS would.

Shattered Gates of Slaughtergaurde - A campaign in one package. I have been forbidden from reading it so I can't say what it's about but it states it's a entire campaign for level 1 to 7.

Either of these is good, but our group has recently finished Slaughterguard and really enjoyed it. Some complain that its a bit to dungeoncrawl-centric and in a way it is, but it contains sufficient background and setting material that a half way decent DM can plug in sidequests and roleplay opps to expand on the adventure as given. Its especially nice if the PCs have some connection to the setting - which two of the PCs in out group did. We are continuing in that campaing, still opperating out of Sumberton, the main city, and have ventured into the Vaathwood as well as other fragments of Slaughterguard not detailed in the adventure potions. The PCs are now past 9th level.

The Lost Muse

First Post
Eberron is a good idea, it's a fun setting that puts a refreshing spin on a bunch of D&D stereotypes.

I'd also like to suggest (although I'm not sure it will be available in time) the Pirate's Guide to Freeport, or possibly the Freeport Trilogy. While these adventures aren't wilderness based, they aren't dungeon crawls either. And they're really good.

a2ndchapter

Tabletop Scotland & Polyhedral Press Overlord
Well just for your information I plumped for the Eberron Campaign Setting and the first module after that. All being well he should get it tomorrow, failing that Monday.

Thanks for your time and suggestions, I've added a few things to my "Must look at." list for myself too.

Cheers.

I think he'll enjoy it honestly. The ECS has a lot of great seeds for campaign ideas and the first adventure path of modules really does a lot to bring out some of the great features that make Eberron what it is.

Remove ads