• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Suggestions & Opinions on Tablets

JDragon

Explorer
Here's the short version....

In a couple weeks when my bonus from work comes in it looks like I'm going to be ableto pick up a Tablet PC finally, and I'm looking for as much input as possible from anyone that has/had one.

Ok, now the long version.....
I've had two Laptops over the last 6 years and used both to varying degrees in my gaming from both sides of the screen. Now as mentioned above I'm going to be upgrading to a Tablet PC and could use any information anyone out there has.

Here is my plan for use and details of my current set up so you know what I'm looking for....
I have a desktop PC that I do 95% of my surfing and work on if I'm at home.

I have my current laptop that I use when away from home or need to be somewhere other than my office at home. Once I have the tablet it will be used to support my projector I'm using for displaying maps (See this Thread) in game.

Once I have the tablet I hope to be able to do the following...
Surf
Read PDF's
Use custom made Excel Character Sheets in game sitting at the table. This will be for D&D, D20 Modern & Shadowrun 4th Ed.
Use for live mech tracking for BattleTech using OneNote. (I think thats the program that will let me pull PDF's and then draw on them)
Use custom made Excel, HTML & PDF's for running above RPG's.

I'm looking for the following in a Tablet from what I've read...
Core Duo Proccessor / 1gig + RAM / Wi-fi / Bluetooth /Uses a digitised Pen / Convertable

My expected budget puts at a little under 2k, including the unit, Tax, shipping and some kind of service plan (2-3 year)

So far the leaders seem to be some of Toshiba's models, but I also recently found this one - Asus R1 Tablet PC

So what this all comes down to is any information or experience you all may have with Tablet PC's would be very helpful. I want to make sure I get something I will be happy with as I don't think I'll get more than one try at this.

Also any suggestions on programs, things to look out for when buying a Tablet etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, hope it made some sense.

Remove ads