Suggestions?

Li Shenron

Legend
iblis said:
* Have just purchased the D&D 3.5 core books

* Am interested in rules supplements, settings, adventures...anything well written, and preferably aesthetically pleasing.

* Wish to avoid overly 'kiddy'-oriented stuff.

* Don't mind reading, or thinking. I'll even attempt both simultaneously if required.

I would suggest to wait a while before rules supplements, so that you first get used to 3.5, both if you haven't played 3.0 before (and are totally new to 3rd edition) or if you are otherwise very well used to 3.0 and need some time to "switch" :) . Perhaps it's best for you to look for a setting or adventure book at this time.

Forgotten Realms it's a classic, but you'll need both Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and Player's Guide to Faerun. Sadly, you'll use the 1st for the story and the flavor (most of which is probably not reprinted in PGtF) but not the crunchy bits since they are written in 3.0, while the second will give you the bits but not the campaign part.

I am not sure, but the only full 3.5 settings are Dragonlance and Eberron, both of which have their good and bad sides. Probably Eberron doesn't have many bad sides, but it is also quite an atypical setting, so if you want something not too far from classic, it may not be what you want.

When you are accustomed to the 3.5 ruleset, you can expand it greatly in several ways, for example with the Book of Exalted Deeds (experienced roleplayers possibly), with Expanded Psionics Handbook if you like the idea or with Unearthed Arcana.

wow factor

hi there iblis...

My tastes in products seem to run similar to yours. Only a few products have given me a 'wow' factor when I read them.

These products are (in no particular order)

DYNASTIES AND DEMAGOGUES (Atlas): An incredible supplement -- that succeeds where others try and fail -- taking intrigue and social interaction -- and introducing subtle rules tweaks that make political campaigns every bit as exciting as combat. Really really good to keep the action (it is after all a game) without falling in to WOTC's trap of having every rule addition having to be distilled to a combat-focus.

FIELDS OF BLOOD (Eden): For those clamouring for political or mass combat rules -- an incredible set of rules for designing kingdoms and armies in a campaign. Running (or fighting) them. And even possibliy giving players the opportunity to be in charge. it's not a perfect rule set -- but like the best of d20, it's so modular that you can easily tweak the parts you don't like to your preference.

my long term goal -- is to merge the micro level Dynasties and Demagogues with the macro-level Fields of BLOOD

UNEARTHED ARCANA (WOTC) -- Outside the core books, the best thing Wizards has done. Allows you to take DND and mess around with the parts you don't like -- keeping both flavour and balance intact. I hope they do more.

ARCANA UNEARTHED (Malhavoc): While the name confusion with Unearthed Arcana is unfortunate, it's not that bad since both products are so good. Vetereran game designer (and co- 3rd edition designer) Monte Cook gives you a completely new take on traditional Fantasy archtypes -- that you can use on their own -- or mesh with the core rules.

I'm not a big setting guy but the one setting that prompted a lay down of my hard earned cash was OATHBOUND (Bastion Press) -- it's the one setting that's both a departure from traditional fantasy yet, whose rules allow (and in fact even require) that your port your traditional fantasy characters to it.

5 books -- 5 companies. Who says the OGL hasn't worked?

Goobermunch

Explorer
Ghostwalk. It's the most under rated setting out there. It's got some interesting and neat variations on your basic D&D game and also has opportunities for any type of game.

--G

Ghostwind

First Post
I'll chime in with these preferences:

Torn Asunder: Critical Hits (Bastion Press) - Combat is now even deadlier.

Warcraft (Sword & Sorcery) - This campaign setting isn't a carbon copy of the computer game. I find it enjoyable in that it puts a new spin on some of the classic races.

Complete Book of Eldritch Might (Malhavoc) - New arcane rules that are just plain good.

Draconomicon (Wotc) - Best dragon book out there. Period.

Oathbound: Domains of the Forge (Bastion Press) - A capstone campaign setting that is high fantasy and offers considerable potential for players, especially with the prestige races.

You will get a thousand different answers to your questions because of the variety of tastes between individuals. I suggest taking the time to read the reviews of products here at EN World and also at d20 Magazine Rack (my site), Mortality.net and RPG.net to get a good feel for the ones you might want to buy.

Remove ads