• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon a creature permanently

ScionJustice

First Post
Are there any ways to summon a creature other than gate permanently? When I see a lot of the artwork for summoning this has a certain circle drawn on the floor and if I remember in 2nd edition there was a really cool 6th level wizard spell where you could do such a thing (I don't remember the name of the spell), but I don't see anything like this in 3.5. I also remember reading that some wizard guilds have certain rooms for summoning in case what they summon gets out of control but I really don't see the spells that would apply to these types of summon spells. FYI- I like the idea of summoning a creature for an extended amount of time to be a lot cooler than rounds equal to your level. I know about the Gate spell and the spells where you have to pay some creature to do something that seems really really inefficient.

Herzog

Adventurer
If such a spell exists, I would consider it broken.

I would mean a single casting of a spell would be the equivalent of
a. The animal companion class feature
b. The familiar class feature/feat
c. The Leadership feat.

You could, of course, consider the 'summoning circle' as depicted in some artwork as a very special magic item or even artifact. Creatures summoned with that circle remain until dismissed, but are not automatically under the control of the summoner. Also, it won't be able to leave the circle without permission, and allowing the summoned creature to leave the circle might be a bad idea....

The summoning circle as depicted in artwork accompanying normal summoning spells could be seen as part of the incantation. (you mumble a few words, and draw a circle on the ground with colored sand. as you finish the incantation, the sand lights up, and a creature appears in the center of the circle....)

Jack Simth

First Post
Are there any ways to summon a creature other than gate permanently? When I see a lot of the artwork for summoning this has a certain circle drawn on the floor and if I remember in 2nd edition there was a really cool 6th level wizard spell where you could do such a thing (I don't remember the name of the spell), but I don't see anything like this in 3.5. I also remember reading that some wizard guilds have certain rooms for summoning in case what they summon gets out of control but I really don't see the spells that would apply to these types of summon spells. FYI- I like the idea of summoning a creature for an extended amount of time to be a lot cooler than rounds equal to your level. I know about the Gate spell and the spells where you have to pay some creature to do something that seems really really inefficient.
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the Planar Binding line (as Pinotage mentioned), which is a Calling effect, not a Summoning effect.

Also, do note that when you Call something, it's really there, and can die just like anything else. Which means you're kidnapping someone from somewhere and "asking" them something that pretty much has an implied "do or die" attached to it....

Runestar

First Post
Forgotten realms has this line of "halaster's fetch" spells where the summoned creature remains as a free-willed creature after the duration of the spell expires.

NewJeffCT

First Post

I was using a 3.0 module/adventure that had as its centerpiece a demon that had been called/summoned, but had remained trapped there for centuries slowly corrupting its surroundings. The module never exactly explained how the demon was called/summoned and trapped for so long - just that it had tricked the summoner and killed him, but had remained there with the patience of an immortal. They explained in the backstory that it was a complex ritual done by a powerful mage.

Well, if you can make friends with a critter, you could go 'pick it up' by way of a couple of plane shift[i/] spells...

Of course, plane shift is not very accurate, so you might run into some issues (i.e. unexpected encounters) when trying to do this.

Sharkon

First Post
The only method I know of is the Fiendbinder prestige class from the Tome of Magic. Here's an overview from the CO-Boards you may find useful if you don't have the book:
Fiendbinder CO perspective

there is an item i know which enables you to maximize the hit dices of creatures you summon. So if a fiendbringer uses this item to permenantly summon a demon will it always have maximum life ?

Shin Okada

Explorer
Mindbender (Complete Arcane) can permanently charm or dominate creatures. So, after using planar binding (without magic circle against XX or after releasing the critter from there), a MB can try to enslave it permanently.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads