• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon Monster I-IX Is it worth it?

Krelios

First Post
Bagpuss said:
Funny enough my LE Warlock is having less trouble with the Paladin in another campaign than the CN Cleric is in this one. Technically LE is actually a closer alignment so I shouldn't be that surprised.
You know that a Paladin can't associate with a LE Warlock without breaking his Code of Conduct and losing his powers, right?

Quasqueton

First Post
A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise).
Ewww. That paranthetical note is just, kmfyroeyf.

Quasqueton

Rackhir

Explorer
Plane Sailing said:
I'm currently playing a druid (just gone from 9th to 10th level) and some of my SNA could have finished encounters on their own when paired with Animal Growth.

Summoning 1d3 Large Hippogriffs I ended up with 3 Huge Hippogriffs which decimated an army camp (precious few magic weapons in the camp to get past the DR 10/magic they acquired)

Um Hippogriffs aren't animals they're magical beasts. Animal growth doesn't work on them, it only affects creatures with the animal type.

One sucky thing about Pseudonatural summons is that the template does specifically change the type, so AG doesn't work for them either. You might be able to argue this with Fiendish or Celestial ones though.

Krud

First Post
Can anyone tell me exactly where in the rules it says that monsters with an Int of 3 understand common? Reading the 3.5 MM entry under fiendish it doesn't say anything except 'Int goes up to 3'. Is it an errata or FAQ entry?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Krud said:
Can anyone tell me exactly where in the rules it says that monsters with an Int of 3 understand common? Reading the 3.5 MM entry under fiendish it doesn't say anything except 'Int goes up to 3'. Is it an errata or FAQ entry?

Er... Storm Raven posted a link to the SRD entry just before.

Where is says "A creature can speak all the languages mentioned in its description, plus one additional language per point of Intelligence bonus. Any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise)."

It's from the Monster Manual.

A fiendish wolverine has an Intelligence score of 3; therefore it is 'any creature with an Intelligence score of 3 or higher', and 'understands at least one language (Common, unless noted otherwise)'. Neither the wolverine entry nor the fiendish template entry notes otherwise; thus, the fiendish wolverine understands Common.

-Hyp.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads