• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon Monster I-IX Is it worth it?

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Rackhir said:
Um Hippogriffs aren't animals they're magical beasts.

Well, how's that for a great big Doh! then :)

For some reason my DM and I just thought that all the stuff without magic powers were elementals...

At least my mega-crocs and huge tigers and dire wolves are safe though. Which is more than you can say for my opponents :)

Jens

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Belladonna decided that it was worth the feats to get Augment Summoning, and I've got a whole list of cards of augmented summoned creatures (and also cards for animal growthed versions as well) which is useful for helping combat to go smoothly.
Can those cards be downloaded somewhere or could I get you to email them to me (jenscl(at)hotmail.com)? I have been converting some plain SNA-cards (thanks, Infinity!) to augmented SNA but now when my druid is approaching 9th level I'm looking for an easy way to get cards for SNA with Augment Summoning *and* Animal Growth :)

So far, Augment Summoning has worked really well with SNA. Spontaneous summoning is great because you can *always* summon something which is useful in combat and maybe even useful for other purposes. As others have mentioned, the ability to soak damage really helps the party - generally I think the resistances and special abilities of summoned monsters are about even with the higher HD of nature's allies.

I actually find that the only "problem" is that the augmented animals are so strong; while it seems obvious to summon a few strong animals for a tough combat, they tend to make the melee-oriented characters look a little weak. Have anyone else experienced something similar?

Jens

First Post
Well, that's my impression at lowish levels :)
It seems to me that 1d3 augmented dire badgers, hippogriffs or black bears (that's a single 3rd level spell) are often about as effective as a 6th level fighter (6th is a good level for fighters). Sure, they are softer and have lower attack bonus but probably have more combined hitpoints and certainly more attacks which do decent damage. Maybe it depends on stats and optimization.

Jens

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Touché. :)

I'll go first, my .sig roughly translates from Danish, "What the f___, we're getting a hurricane?"

So, what does that acronym/whatever mean?
Ah, finally something I know :D
The direct translation of "Hva' fanden? Får vi en orkan?" is "What the devil? Get we a hurricane?"
"Fanden" (and similar words like kraften, pokker, satan, ...) is not really taken literally anymore, mostly used to emphasize
Btw, that is a strange Danish quote, where did you get it from?

Remove ads