• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon Monsters, odd question.

Urklore

First Post
Here is an odd question.

If you summoned a monster that had equipment, say for example a monster that was armed with a sword and shield and one carrying a sack. Would you be able to use its equipment until it was killed or the summon spell ended?

frankthedm

First Post
If it had it, you could until it popped away. Could not see too much of a problem. There might be logistical problems involved with the getting of the item if a language barrier exists.

frankthedm

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
What if you gave a Summoned monster an item? When the spell ends, does the item it carried disappear with it?
Nope. Left where the critter last stood TMU. Sadly, summons cannot carry away victims.

IIRC a rules debate indicated a poisonous summoned critter's venom 'winks away' when it does. Thus it takes an 11th level summoner to have secondary poison damage kick in from a summon.

mvincent

Explorer
frankthedm said:
IIRC a rules debate indicated a poisonous summoned critter's venom 'winks away' when it does.
Do you happen to have a link to that thread? That seems too inconsistent with other D&D precedence (even if in the name of "realism").

Particle_Man

Explorer
I think if you use the alternate summon monster rules (in the DMG?) you can have a specific creature you summon every time you use the spell ("Bill the formian"). You could give *that* creature items that would appear with them when summoned, I think, but you have to plane shift or some such to *get* the items to "Bill" in the first place.

mvincent

Explorer
Particle_Man said:
I think if you use the alternate summon monster rules (in the DMG?) you can have a specific creature you summon every time you use the spell ("Bill the formian"). You could give *that* creature items that would appear with them when summoned, I think, but you have to plane shift or some such to *get* the items to "Bill" in the first place.
From the 3.0 FAQ:
"Summoned creatures aren’t really present; they dissolve at
their original location, appear where summoned, then reform at
their original location after the spell ends (see page 157 in the
Player’s Handbook). If slain while summoned, it takes them a
day to reform. In any case, they suffer no lasting effects (for
good or for ill) from any summoning episode. If a character
uses a summon nature’s ally spell to summon an animal, the
caster could indeed cast an animal friendship spell on it. When
the summon nature’s ally spell ends, however, the animal is
gone, and it is no longer affected by the animal friendship spell."

I believe that even if you were summoning a specific creature, the summoning spell would likely be designed to outfit it only as standard for its MM entry. Conversely, you also would be unlikely to summon say, a weaponless bearded devil (i.e. one that had set his weapon down or somesuch). 'Calling' spells would be an entirely different matter.

Spells seem to be based more on 'belief' (and balance) than 'reason'.

Remove ads