• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon Undead

Rudar Dimble

First Post
I've searched these boards and the rest of the internet, but there's nowhere a list of monsters for Summon Undead available. I know that I can summon an undead of caster level +1 HD. But what about this? I am a 6th lvl necromancer and want to use Summon Undead III, so that means a huge skeleton for instance. But the weakest huge skeleton in the MM has 12 HD, while I can only summon upto 7 HD.
How to create a 7 HD huge skeleton? Or even better, does anyone has a list for this spell?

THANKS!

JimAde

First Post
A quick search of the SRD reveals the Giant Crocodile! Huge size and 7 hit dice exactly.

Skeletal crocodiles would rock! :)

Rudar Dimble

First Post
So I had a D&D session yesterday and summoned some undead. These were the stats and creatures I used...I had the feeling they were way too powerful:

Summon Undead I:
(Medium) Leopard Skeleton:
HP: 21
Initiative: +5
Speed: 40
AC: 17 (touch 15, ff 12)
Full Attack: Bite +4 (1d6+3) and 2 claws +1 (1d4+3)
Space/Reach: 5/5
SA: Improved grab, pounce, rake 1d3+1
SQ: darkvision, DR 5/bludgeoning
Saves: fort +0, ref +5, will +2

Summon Undead II:
(Large) Lion Skeleton:
HP: 35
Initiative: +4
Speed: 40
AC: 15 (touch 14, ff: 12)
Full Attack: 2 claws +7 (1d6+5) and bite +4 (1d8+2)
Space/Reach: 10/5
SA: Pounce, Improved grab, Rake 1d4+2
Saves: fort +1, ref +5, will +3

Summon Undead III:
(Huge) Giant Crocodile Skeleton:
HP: 49
Initiative: +2
Speed: 20 ft
AC: 13 (touch 12, ff 11)
Full attack: bite +11 (2d8+12) or tail slap +11 (1d12+12)
Space/Reach: 15/10
SA: Improved grab
Saves: fort +2, ref +4, will +5

Too powerful aye? What did I do wrong? Now next session I will be able to cast Summon Undead IV, so I need a creature for that too. :)

Thanee

First Post
You basically can use any creature, which you would know about (depends on how the DM rules it, but I would require some knowledge skills or first-hand knowledge of the base creature), and which can be turned into a skeleton (or zombie).

The resulting undead can have up to (caster level +1) HD (per PGtF errata).

If you do not find a huge one, you could also summon two large or four medium skeletons with the Summon Undead III spell, i.e. two troll skeletons.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Rudar Dimble said:
What did I do wrong?

After a quick glance over, you definitely did the SA part wrong. All special attacks are gone, if you turn a creature into a skeleton.

But yes, especially at the lower levels, these spells are very powerful. But on the other hand, you can do similar stuff with Animate Dead, of course there you need to kill the base creature first. ;)

Bye
Thanee

Thanee

First Post
Ah, I think you forgot to reduce BAB, which changes to 1/2 HD, if it was better before.

i.e. the crocodile would have +3 BAB instead of +5 and therefore +9 attack bonus.

Damage doesn't change usually, so that seems to be right.

Bye
Thanee

Rudar Dimble

First Post
No, I did that. A giant crocodile has a strength of 27, so a +8 modifier. Include the +3 BAB and you have an attack bonus of +11. At least that's how I created the guy :). Same with the lion and the leopard.

Remove ads