• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summon Undead

Rudar Dimble

First Post
And this would be my creature for Summon Undead IV:

(Huge) Nine Headed Hydra Zombie:
HP: 63
Initiative: +0
Speed: 20
AC: 10 (touch 6, ff 10)
Attack: 9 Bites +11 (2d6+6)
Space/Reach: 15/10
SQ: darkvision, DR 5/slashing
Saves: fort +3, ref +3, will +6

Full attack +13 is calculated like this:
BAB 1/2 HD = +4
Str is increased by 2 (zombie), so STR is 23 = +6
Size modifier = -2
Total attack bonus = +11

Damage = 2d6 (zombie, huge) +6 (from STR of 23)

HP = 9d12 (I rolled and it was 63 hp)

Any comments or is this OK?

Last edited:

Rudar Dimble

First Post
Monster Manual:
Nine-headed hydra, Huge Magical Beast
HP: 9d10+48 (97 hp) with a CON of 20 (=+5)
Seems like 9 HD to me.

OW wait....DOUBLE the remaining HD :confused: , hehe...my mistake ;)

So, I need a huge creature with 4 HD! Let's see if I can find one (don't think so though :p )

Last edited:

Darth Malakh

First Post
who says outsider don't have bones? :)
one of my chars (Malakh himself) has an animated enrinyes-skeleton which does the equipment hauling at times. appropriately equipped it's a decent fighter, too. 9HD for a medium sized skeletons isn't too bad. i killed that erinyes myself, grappling and dropping it (i was going along :] ) from a 60 ft statue. my party remembers this move as "Death by Malakh"

so why not summon one of those? MM says nothing against it
my GM requires an additional focus for "summon undead". one intact bone of the creature type you want to summon, which makes it a lil harder to conjure up the freaky stuff.

of course hydras are on of my favourites, too. :)

Malakh

Staffan

Legend
The problem with Summon Undead is that it was never properly revised for 3.5e, despite having been in three books (I think it's three: Player's Guide to Faerûn, Complete Arcane, and Libris Mortis) so far. In 3.0, skeletons and zombies were generic monsters - a Medium skeleton was a Medium skeleton (1 HD, two 1d4 claws), and that was that. However, in 3.5e they made skeletons and zombies into templates, but kept the Summon Undead spells the same. So now, the 1st level spell that once could summon a skeleton with 6 hp, 2 attacks at +0 to hit and 1d4 damage, and AC 13 now can summon a skeleton with 78 hp, 2 attacks at +12 to hit and doing 2d8+6 damage, and having AC 18 (based on a Barbed Devil - I'm sure there are nastier Medium monsters out there, I just used this as an example).

The spell needs to be totally rewritten, to have the skeleton types you can summon specified just like the Summon Monster lists are specified.

Rudar Dimble

First Post
I agree with you on that Staffan, but since it isn't rewritten I still use the old version. I have nerfed it a bit myself.
Summon Undead I = max 3 HD
Summon Undead II = max 5 HD
Summon Undead III = max 7 HD
etc.

Remove ads