• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Summoned Creatures and Protection from Evil

Voadam

Legend
in previous edition PFE and all its variations kept out all summoned and conjured creatures regardless of alignment.

In 3e there is the noted contradiction in PFE v. PFG, et al.

As written, PFE is more powerful than the others keeping out everything summoned but good summoned creatures while the others only block out summoned creatures of their antithesis alignments.

As written PFE blocks elementals, the others do not.

As written it is just not symmetrical and the entry in the faq saying it is should go in errata.

I would suggest houseruling to make them equivalent, but that is houseruling unless you create new spells and ban the old ones.

Jeremy

Explorer
Well this is what I'm hearing over on the official boards...

Because it is summoned the last part of the spell works no matter what the creature's alignment is. Any of the "Protection from" spells do this, so it doesn't mater which is cast for neutral creatures. (It says good outsiders are immune so that means it only repels natural attacks from evil and neutral.)

The shortened text of the other spells applies to what type of creatures the +2 deflection and resistance bonuses apply against.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
Jeremy,

that contradicts the written text of the spells.

from the srd:

Protection from Chaos

Abjuration [Lawful]
Level: Brd 1, Clr 1, Law 1, Sor/Wiz 1

As protection from evil, except that the deflection and resistance bonuses apply to attacks from chaotic creatures, and chaotic summoned or conjured creatures cannot touch the subject.

Therefore only chaotic blocked.

and then compare to PFE

Third, the spell prevents bodily contact by summoned or conjured creatures. This causes the natural weapon attacks of such creatures to fail and the creatures to recoil if such attacks require touching the warded creature. Good elementals and outsiders are immune to this effect. The protection against contact by summoned or conjured creatures ends if the warded creature makes an attack against or tries to force the barrier against the blocked creature. Spell resistance can allow a creature to overcome this protection and touch the warded creature.

All except good are blocked.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
kreynolds said:
No. They're neutral, but they're not evil either, so the spell doesn't affect them.

Protection from evil won't give you the +2 deflection AC and +2 on saves against a neutral elemental or outsider, but it will prevent them from touching you.

It's in the spell description.

kreynolds

First Post
Caliban said:
Protection from evil won't give you the +2 deflection AC and +2 on saves against a neutral elemental or outsider, but it will prevent them from touching you.

That's what I meant to say, but I forgot they could still touch you.

Caliban said:
It's in the spell description.

Well I'll be hog-washed! Look at that! :D

I sent an email to SKR long time ago about this. The Magic Circle against x spells don't keep summoned animals away. They do keep summoned (not called!) outsiders and elementals away, unless they're of the right alignment.

So don't summon elementals, unless you've got a Dispel Magic handy.

Remove ads