• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sumo Wrestler

eris404

Explorer
If you were going to create a sumo wrestler in D&D, how would you go about it? What classes, feats, skills, etc. would you use?

EDIT - I'd prefer not to create a class from scratch.

Enamel_32

First Post
I'd probably go with a monk, with a race that grants the powerful build ability (half giant, maybe?). Load 'im up with feats such as improved bull rush (and other related feats), improved overrun, and improved grapple, and you've got something very much like a sumo wrestler.

NimrodvanHall

First Post
the monk route is good, just make him high STR and high CON

maybe come up with a feat that has imp grapple as prerequisite and simulates the dwarven stable build ability.

Scharlata

First Post
eris404 said:
If you were going to create a sumo wrestler in D&D, how would you go about it? What classes, feats, skills, etc. would you use?

EDIT - I'd prefer not to create a class from scratch.

Hi!

Throw in:
Improved Grapple, PHB; Martial Throw, MiniH; Earth's Embrace, CWarrior; Freezing the Lifeblood, CWarrior.

Enjoy!

daBooj

First Post
besides a bull rush or a overrun, what would a sumo wrestler do? Isn't sumo simply trying to push your opponent out of a ring? I could see a sumo wrestler being fun to play, but I would hate to pay the upkeep!

eris404

Explorer
daBooj said:
besides a bull rush or a overrun, what would a sumo wrestler do? Isn't sumo simply trying to push your opponent out of a ring? I could see a sumo wrestler being fun to play, but I would hate to pay the upkeep!

Well, I was just thinking about different character concepts when this popped into my head. I guess it could be any wrestler, really, but sumo was the one that had come to my mind first. I wanted to see if there were unarmed/wrestling move feats that would work well together. I'm also thinking about the maneuvers from the Book of Iron Might to see if those rules might help.

eris404

Explorer
OK, so I was thinking monk or maybe a multiclass between fighter and monk. But then, I realized that with what is basically a combat-oriented character, maybe I'd just go with straight fighter class and make him specialized in unarmed combat. All those feats are hard to pass up. :) Anyway, I've listed some feats that might be worthwhile, but as I don't have any of my gaming books at work, I've limited myself to the SRD:

Suggested Feats from the SRD:

Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Bull Rush
Improved Grapple
Improved Overrun
Power Attack
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Stunning Fist

Other useful feats from the SRD:

Diehard
Dodge/Mobility
Weapon Focus/Greater Weapon Focus
Improved Initiative

I have tons of books, so I'm still open to feat suggestions, I just can't look anything up right now.

As for race, I was thinking dwarf, human or half-giant.

Thoughts?

Remove ads