• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sun and Scale - The Gryphon's Legacy. Micro review and questions.

cbatt

First Post
This module reads really well, even if it is a bit disorganized. It's filled with a decent plot, well thought out encounters, and plenty of future adventure hooks. The layout is clean and easily readable with lots and lots of informative text and the few illustrations are well done (the cover art is a fantastic Sam Wood piece). It even contains a short overview of the Sun and Scale campaign setting within the first few pages.

Overall, I'm very impressed. However, I've heard a rumor that Gaslight Press is no longer in business (even though their website is still up). Is there any truth to this rumor? A shame if true because this is a stellar product (AFAIK after a first read).

My next question is: has anyone run this adventure and if so, do you have any advice?

I'm already planning on changing the premise ever so slightly. As written, the PCs are on a mission to reclaim a small castle for themselves, and establish a settlement on the frontier. Now, this adventure is for 1st-3rd level characters and I simply want my PCs to earn thier fiefs at a later point in the campaign. So I'm going to have them reclaim the fortress for a minor noble of Meriador (the local kingdom) instead. Other than that, it will remain the same, though now they will have a patron instead of an actual land holding.

Would be nice to hear people's thoughts, though I suspect that this adventure has been bypassed by the public for other offerings. Again, this is to bad because I think you might be missing out on a potential classic.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I bought it, loved it, and posted a detailed review of it here, which received no response whatsoever and quickly vanished into the quagmire of old post pages... :(

I thought the module was very well organized and had a beautifully detailed location (the "living castle" template can be lifted and used to good effect in other adventures or modified to different locations). Production values (cover, map, paper, etc.) were high.

Don't know if Gaslight Press is still around or not... Hope they are!

Last edited:

cbatt

First Post
In case you don't already know, your review is linked from Gaslight press' Sun and Scale page, so it didn't slip quite so far into obscurity as you'd think. :)

Good review BTW. However, I'll dispute the well organized comment. IMHO, there seem to be an inordinate amount of "notes/special rules" text-boxes placed on pages well before, or well after their related encounter description. A great example of this is the rules for fighting in the badger tunnels, which are two pages away from the badger tunnels encounter description. I know of other instances as well, though without the book in front of me I can't be specific.

I know that this is a problem with the format. And to me, it demonstrates that they are really trying to cram as much into thier 48 pages as possible, but it is slightly annoying to be forced to flip all around to get the information that I need. They could've at least made a page reference to the special rules within the encounter block which would server to at least remind the DM.

Then again, that's my only problem with the product so far. Minor.

I'm still checking into listed CRs of the creatures though. They seem to be underestimated, but I'm no CR guru so I'll have to look into it more before forming an opinion.

Nikchick

Explorer
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Don't know if Gaslight Press is still around or not... Hope they are!

Rich Rowan from Gaslight Press was at the GAMA Trade Show and at the Osseum booth. I'm sure they're still in business, even if their production schedule is a bit slow.

Regards,
Nicole

Remove ads