• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sun Blade and Negative Energy Plane Creatures?

Ghostmoon

First Post
Hello,

In our campaign, one of the characters has recently acquired a Sun Blade. While reviewing the powers, I noted the following sentence (from the SRD):

"Against evil creatures, its enhancement bonus is +4. Against Negative Energy Plane creatures or undead creatures, the sword deals double damage (and x3 on a critical hit instead of the usual x2)."

My question is what creatures in D&D 3.5 are considered "Negative Energy Plane Creatures". I realize undead draw their power from negative energy. I also know in the Manual of the Planes there is the Xeg-Yi, which is obviously from the Negative Energy Plane, but it seems odd that is the only one I can think of. Am I just missing something or is this a leftover from previous editions?

Thanks!
Ghostmoon

You're right in assuming that most creatures that come from or are attached to the Negative Energy Plane are undead.

Also, note that undead are usually immune to critical hits. Does the sword supercede this?

AR

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Yea, undead are immune to crits, and you can't deal extra damage from crits against undead. But other negative energy plane creatures will be affected by this. I think there is an energetic creature template somewhere, and there are possibly other creatures on the negative energy plane besides undead. The swords description just describes the possibilities (after all, the DM could just create "Negates" or something, creatures which are at home there. Negates could be healed by negative energy, just like Kir-Lanans from the FR).

Remove ads