• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sun Rods are awesome!

Eric Tolle

First Post
I agreee Sunrods are a bit naff. Back in the old days, we didn't need any Sunrods when poking ariound dungeons. We just had our pet Type VII Demons and elder dragons excavate off the roof of the dungeon, and that gave us all the light we needed.

But no sunrods. Man, that's just twinky.

Ander00

First Post
I hate sunrods. I hate all alchemical items that popped up in 3e, actually
Hey, at least they aren't alchemical capsules you insert into your weapon,... or replace your teeth with (yeah, I'm not too fond of some of the junk from third edition splatbooks).

On a more serious note, I would've kind of hoped that after the hubbub about removing darkvision and limiting low-light vision as far as player races are concerned, darkness would actually matter in 4E. But here we are, with 5 out of 8 races having low-light vision, another being able to pick it up with a feat, and more than affordable magical/alchemical light sources. Ah well.

cheers

Particle_Man

Explorer
Sunrods are a bit redundant when you can buy an everburning torch for 50gp.

Sunrods win on radius of bright light, though.

Hey my party was having trouble in combat due to darkness, kobolds, etc. (relying too much on my light cantrip, I guess), and then someone said well I got the standard adventurer's pack, let's try this sunrod.

And lo, there was LIGHT! We were all surprised as none of us had checked the light radius on this puppy in 4e.

A hat of sunrods would be even better, as it would leave both hands free. :cool:

frankthedm

First Post
I hate everburning torches more than I hate sunrods.

And my hat of sunrods no know limit.
EBTs are at least somewhat limited in ilummination. Flaming weapons and that 20% chance a magic weapon shines like a light spell never bugged me. Sunrods did really get to me. Partially this was because I got my brain mixed up and thought the 3E sunrod was 60'/120' normally rather than 30'/60'. The 4E sunrod really is over the top.
Tewligan Quote said:
Tanglefoot bags in particular enraged me to no end. Adventurers lobbing bags of glue at monsters?! Really?
It would be fine in TOON. Tanglefoot bags might as well have had ACME written on them.

drothgery

First Post
Sunrods light a large enough area that you shouldn't have to worry about lighting effects while you have one out. This is a Good Thing.

Klaus

First Post
Sunrods light a large enough area that you shouldn't have to worry about lighting effects while you have one out. This is a Good Thing.
I find the fact that a sunrod can light up all the way to a longbow's long range limit a bit excessive.

If the area was 10 squares, instead of 20, it'd be the same effect (no need to worry about darkness), but limiting it to a longbow's normal range.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads