Sun Soul Monk/Light Cleric

williams290894

First Post
Having recently multiclassed to take a level in Cleric (Light Domain) my DM has let me change my feat (from being a variant human) from what I had before (Magic Initiate: Cleric). I'm thinking either Spell Sniper (for 60ft Sun Bolts and so I don't have to worry about hitting people who have cover in combat) or War Caster (so that Shield of Faith, and other concentration spells, are more reliable). Any opinions in this or even other feats that would work well?

faria

First Post
This got me thinking about a Sun Soul Monk/Tempest Cleric using Channel Divinity on their Ki Thunderwaves and Ki Shatters.

Unrelated, but interesting and thought I'd share.

Spell Sniper wouldn't affect the range of RSB, as it uses the Attack action and not Cast A Spell. However, it would benefit from the second ability of ignoring cover. As for the cantrip gained by Spell Sniper, I would probably go with Boom Blade from the SCAG. Its attack roll is based off the weapon used, rather than your casting stat.

War Caster really isn't that much better for you, as the only cantrip that you could use as an opportunity attack is Sacred Flame.

Why did you want to go Life Cleric? Sun Soul Monk isn't the best subclass for multiclassing. It shines best when taken straight.

My bad. Was responding in between commercials while watching TV, so I wasn't completely focused on what typos I made.

The main things to get out of Sun Soul Monk after 12th are Diamond Soul at 14th, more Ki points to fuel your kamehamehas, and the upgrade to d10 damage at 17th. The 17th level SSM* ability is something I like because it's essentially a secondary effect of going Super Saiyan that makes sense from a physics standpoint. If your power level is so high that you have a visible aura of plasma surrounding you, those who touch you should get hurt by it.

I'm curious as to why you went Light Cleric. I don't really see the benefit, but perhaps you see something I've missed.

*I always knew that Sun Soul Monk was the DBZ subclass, but never caught the subtlety of the name until just now. SSM...SSJ...Clever girl...

williams290894

First Post
I don't think I'll be relying on the Sun Bolt too much at higher levels so I'm not too bothered about the improved damage die. Plus I figure spell slots will mitigate for the reduced Ki points.

I figure that the character, combat wise, would primarily use ranged attacks but often short range since Sun Bolt is only 30ft and Burning Hands is 15ft which would be the most common attacks this, with the Monk's maneuverability, would allow him to get into range then move away.On top of this the Monk side would provide some ranged weapon and spell defence with Deflect Missile and Evasion with Warding Flare from the Cleric helping if I get caught out in combat.

I've always loved using fire based magic and the ability to cast Burning Hands as an action (from Cleric) then again (as a Monk using Ki) as a bonus action for a total of effectively a 13d6 15ft cone seems pretty hilarious. I know it's not super powerful (I think the average damage is like 45) but I just love the idea of that many d6!

I understand where you're coming from now, but there's two things wrong with your double BH trick.

1. Twinned Metamagic is the only way to cast two leveled spells in a single turn.

2. SSM's BH can only be used after the Attack action.

williams290894

First Post
Ah fair enough (still learning a lot of the PHB) thanks for the heads up. By leveled do you mean you could do say 2 cantrips in one turn? Is casting a spell not considered an attack action?

Ah fair enough (still learning a lot of the PHB) thanks for the heads up. By leveled do you mean you could do say 2 cantrips in one turn? Is casting a spell not considered an attack action?

Yes, you could cast two cantrips in one turn (1 action + 1 bonus action) or one cantrip plus one leveled spell.

Spells use the Cast a Spell action, which is different from the Attack action.

Remove ads