Level Up (A5E) Sundering in A5E? Looking to damage my PC's equipment in combat

Brian D

Villager
I've been running A5E for a month or so and haven't found any rules on sundering (attempting to break an opponents weapons / armor). This seems intentional by design as the game has rules for repairing and maintaining gear. I had a Pathfinder 1e campaign with a sunder build fighter and definitely empathize with why those rules are not present.

Any explanations to satisfy my curiosity or advice on how to add that onto my monsters attacks?

rust monsters can corrode and destroy metal equipment. some materials have the flaw property, which destroys the item in specific situations. those are probably worth looking into.

also, you are an evil, evil man.

I don't think the feature is intended to be used as an "add on" effect to attacks (with a few exceptions like the above mentioned Rust monster). It seems more to be triggered by a judgement call from the DM depending on the situation: maybe falling in an acid pit, receiving large amounts of falling damage, or staying for a long time in a very humid and salty environment.

Personally I'd use this set of rules sparingly as it can become very tedious for the PCs to have their equipment broken

Brian D

Villager
also, you are an evil, evil man.
Thanks! My DM side nods in approval.
Personally I'd use this set of rules sparingly as it can become very tedious for the PCs to have their equipment broken
Definity agree. The judgement call aspect (especially within the journey rules and environmental hazards) doesn't come across as heavy handed. I'm not looking to break equipment every session, or often, but it seems that there could or should be something more common than rust monsters. Gary Gygax added rust monsters intentionally to debuff his PCs, but that's not my style.

I'm thinking of adopting Pathfinder Critical Hit and Fumble decks to A5E. We'll playtest a few sessions and see where it goes.

Thanks! My DM side nods in approval.

Definity agree. The judgement call aspect (especially within the journey rules and environmental hazards) doesn't come across as heavy handed. I'm not looking to break equipment every session, or often, but it seems that there could or should be something more common than rust monsters. Gary Gygax added rust monsters intentionally to debuff his PCs, but that's not my style.

I'm thinking of adopting Pathfinder Critical Hit and Fumble decks to A5E. We'll playtest a few sessions and see where it goes.
Now that I think about it, the action of sacrificing a shield in order to negate a crit should definitely allow for these rules to come into play.
I'm also contemplating the idea of having the armor broken when a PC gets to 0 hp (maybe after getting heavy damage/crit), but preventing the first instance of fatigue.

Brian D

Villager
I'm also contemplating the idea of having the armor broken when a PC gets to 0 hp (maybe after getting heavy damage/crit), but preventing the first instance of fatigue.
This makes sense, especially for a character without a shield who wishes to negate a crit.

Remove ads