• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Sundering with Spells

Say a wizard wants to destroy something on another character/monster with a spell. My first idea is turning a fighter's sword into slag with Scorching Ray. Other spells and other targets (packs, armor, shields, helms etc..) come to mind as well. I'm thinking standard Sunder rules for a touch-attack ray like Scorch there...but what about other spells? Thoughts?

PoorPC

First Post
Any spells that affect objects that can directly or indirectly damage them can potentially sunder.

Scorch does not affect objects though.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'd still allow it 'cuz it's a ray of scorching heat, and there's no reason that ray would only affect a living thing. Dur.

And then I'd basically use the rules for hitting small objects with your attacks, and I'd have you "roll" instead of using your saving throw DC (with the same bonuses), and if you hit, okay, that object gets scorched (precise effects are going to be up to heavy DM interpretation, but I like clever uses, so sure).

Hitting small object targets with ranged attacks is tough, though.

Remove ads