• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sunken City of Pazar battle mat/map (I3 spoliers ... 32 years late!)

My 5e conversion of the 1e module PHARAOH is going great thus far and thought I would share my foamcore/Fat Dragon battle mat/map for the sunken city of Pazar.

Made for a fun playing experience. Build time was approximately 2 hours including rescaling the map for 5e.

Last edited:

D'karr

Adventurer
This is really cool. I've been using battlemats and miniatures since time immemorial and always like seeing how others create their terrain, maps, etc.

Very well done.

Thanks! I love using terrain as well, and whilst a lot of people say it's not necessary, I personally enjoy making the terrain and feel it enhances crawls and/or major encounters. I would say that dice-fiddling at the table waiting for your turn goes down 80% when there's 3D terrain on the table. The players are riveted to the action.

nice work, how has the process been going for you in converting 1e to 5e?
Thanks. :)

As I am brand-new to 5e (as we all are), I find my encounters swinging between too easy and too hard still, but my players are patient. One thing I have noticed is that, proficiencies aside, having an iconic party (thief, magic user, cleric, fighter) seems to work best.

There is also a core assumption in 1e that the party is typically larger than what would be used today, along with a small army of hirelings, so I am having some balance issues on that front, as well.

I have augmented the party with 2 allied (for the moment ;) ) NPC's; a halfling wizard and rogue.

Last session, the party went against an Efreeti and all of the players went into the encounter assuming they were going to be chopped meat; however, a fortunate initiative roll in the party's favour and failed Will save left the Efreeti caught in a hold spell after the first round and that essentially ended the encounter. I was a little nonplussed by the experience, but I played the Efreeti as I interpreted him in the module, not the way I would typically play it [cast invisibility and run away lol]. However, the players LOVED the encounter.

Just outside the sunken city there are supposed to be 2 Giant Spiders, but I changed this to a small tribe (20) of nomadic Gnoll type creatures (using the Gnoll Chieftain as the template for all of them), and that encounter was CRAZY difficult for them; one character was killed and the party barely escaped with their life. The player introduced a new character (5th level Ranger) and one Pass Without Trace spell later, they were inside the sunken city. :)

Tonight they should be entering the actual temple attached to Amun-Re's tomb; this section is a bit of a meat grinder, so I will have some experience trying mobs again...

All that being said -- as far as FEEL is concerned, I think that 5e handles the difference the best that I have seen yet; I wouldn't even TRY converting this module to 3.5/Pathfinder. Combat is also much easier/quicker than my beloved Labyrinth Lord ... so far 5e is my favourite iteration of D&D to date.

Here is the temple map for tonight's session; it's a bit more meta, but there are a lot of pieces to it. I'm not really sure HOW I am going to do the tomb, yet; I have some ideas, but will need to give it serious thought to execute it in a way that will have 'wow' factor... :)

Remove ads