• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sunless Citadel thanks

Asmor

First Post
haakon1 said:
It bothers me because the two captured adventurers cannot be saved. I changed that and decided to treat them like vampire spawn -- if you kill them, you can then raise them.

But since that's beyond the reach of a 3rd level party or a small town merchant clan, I'm thinking if the PC's capture them alive and give them 1/4 or more of the healing apple, it will cure them. If the PC's sacrifice the apple to try it, I'm not going to say "no, doesn't work".

If you wanted to make it a bit more bittersweet, you could have it work for only one of them... And the other dies. That way the PCs' efforts aren't completely wasted, yet they're neither completely successful.

Wandering Star

First Post
I am currently running this adventure as part of the 3.0 path, and have to agree that its not a bad adventure at all; with a few tweaks here and there, its awesome. I really like the first level of the citadel, but I have to agree that the second level seems a bit ordinary.

I'm very keen to hear what adjustments people have made for the second level; I've even considered totally redoing the whole level, though im running out of the time. Also, what other hooks are there possible to exploit to link SC to the rest of the path?

Pell-Mell

First Post
I've only got the chance to run it once so far, but I really enjoyed it and it has formed the first leg of my campaign (see sig for the write up).

Meepo got adopted pretty early by the group when they entered the Sunless Citadel. I had him already a sorcerer, but he was terrified to use his powers as Queen Yusdrayl routinely destroyed any possible usurpers to her power. She actually already knew he was a sorcerer, but she thought he might become useful in the war against the goblins, so he got put on dragon duty. Meepo actually made it through the entire adventure, got kicked out of his tribe, and has been with the PCs ever since.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I changed the bit about not being to save Sharwyn and Sir Braford as well, though I had them show up later as vampire spawn loyal to Gulthias in "The Heart of Nightfang Spire."

In my most recent delvings into the Citadel, I've adapted Meepo into a character very similar to Deekin in the Neverwinter Nights expansions "Shadows of Undrentide" and "Hordes of the Underdark."

I've also contemplated making the twig blights a bit more dangerous by giving them the ability to spread a disease with their claw attacks with results similar to the experimented on dire rat the party finds in the second level (plant like growths sprouting from the flesh).

Wandering Star

First Post
I really like the idea of making Sharwyn and co. loyal to Gulthias, thats an awesome idea. I think I might give that a go. I've also adapted Meepo for the adventure so that he can be more useful to the party making him an expert with handle animal maxed out and wild empathy as a class feature, and UMD to fill a caster gap in the party (he thinks himself capable of dragon sorcery, and is trying to convince everyone else that he is).

SoulsFury

Explorer
I'm running this adventure for the third time and I love how the PCs are so involved in how the adventure turns out.

Game 1: The group goes in, is friends with the kobolds, goes through the kobolds, kills Calcryx, goes down, kills everyone but tries to same the adventures, of course fails. They had fun and enjoyed the adventure, all were upset they didn't free anyone.

Game 2: The group goes in and attacks kobolds, huge battle. Then forces goblins into a corner. Ends up burying the goblins down below and blocking the way into the bottom level off.

Game 3: By far the most interesting. Started them off as friends with the kobolds, with 4 adventurers missing. They have went in with a kobold guide, rescued Calcryx, killed many goblins and just discovered that two of the adventurers died. Little do they know is that the 2 sublicated adventurers actually killed the other two adventurers (but they will find that out when they interview one of the kobold capturers). Seems the PBP game I'm running seems to lend more to roleplaying than Rollplaying and thanks to this adventure, I went from 1 campaign on a new web forum, to 3 campaigns with multiple DMs in a month.

Thanks Bruce for an amazing adventure! I really hope there is a "Return to the Sunless Citadel" in 4th edition.

I did Meepo as a Sorcerer 1, with all defensive spells (Protection from Evil and Mage Armor), with high skills in Diplomacy.

In the dragon fight, he kept trying to calm down Calcryx, to funny but ineffective effects.

Also, when the PC's freed the captured kobolds and gnomes, the kobolds became meat shields for the party and somehow all survived!

Currently, Meepster is plotting overthrowing the Queen with the help of the last 10 or so goblin/hobgoblin warriors, who were mostly badly wounded when they surrendered to the party after the BBEG fight in the goblin throne room.

Meepo's a Sorcerer 2 now . . . and one hard to kill kobold!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads