Super Mario Bros. movie

Jahydin

Hero
Peach is brave, funny, fearless, competent. At no point does she need to be rescued by anyone. She is resourceful and cunning. Basically everything you’d want in a heroine and role model for girls, and it just felt natural. It didn’t feel forced in any way. It was nice to see that, and my daughters certainly appreciated it too.
That was one of the reasons I didn't like the movie. I prefer messages of "needing each other" rather than characters that are amazing at everything, have no faults, and don't need help from anyone.

For instance with the course, the fact she did it her first time was unfortunate. Would have been a better role model if she explained that it took her a lot of work too since that's usually how it works in the real world.

@Xamnam: My biggest takeaway from the movie is that Peach is the hero of her own story. Her mission is to save her kingdom. Mario’s mission is only to save his brother.

And Brooklyn.
:p

I enjoyed the movie. It didn't have a lot of plot, but it was fun and had a few touches that made it go just beyond the typical Mario Platforming game (not by much). It was great looking and the sounds and soundtrack were wonderful. I wonder what people are considering Easter eggs. There are tons of them in the movie, but I think a lot of what more critical people consider Easter eggs are actually the world of Super Mario rather than actually Easter eggs (aka. a pander).

That was one of the reasons I didn't like the movie. I prefer messages of "needing each other" rather than characters that are amazing at everything, have no faults, and don't need help from anyone.

For instance with the course, the fact she did it her first time was unfortunate. Would have been a better role model if she explained that it took her a lot of work too since that's usually how it works in the real world.
Well that is actually the message she was trying to give Mario, but he saw through her. She was super competent, but not perfect. She sought out help to save her Kingdom, and in the end did not save the day on her own (though she largely saved herself from Bowser).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I consider the fact that the original voice of Mario was playing Jump Man at the pizzeria or the names of many of the businesses in Brooklyn being references to Nintendo games to be Easter Eggs.

Jahydin

Hero
Well that is actually the message she was trying to give Mario, but he saw through her.
Agree, but loses most of its impact since she wasn't being honest.

She was super competent, but not perfect. She sought out help to save her Kingdom, and in the end did not save the day on her own (though she largely saved herself from Bowser).
I was disappointed with how that turned out as well.
We finally get a moment of weakness and vulnerability and it hits pretty hard thanks to all the build up of her strong character... and then they just 180 Uno Reversed it and undid any impact. Back to perfectly perfect Peach...

Davies

Legend
Interesting sequel hook in this one.

We are left with the unanswered question, "Who is Princess Peach?" ... and I wonder whether or not this is going to be answered in a future "Smash Bros" movie, in which, once a certain helmet is removed, Peach and Samus Aran are shown to be mirror images for each other.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I saw the mid-credits scene but missed the post-credits scene. Neither has anything to do with Peach, but I guess the latter is a hint towards a possible sequel?
I think we should definitely expect that character to show up in the inevitable sequel. I looked for them in the travel montage earlier and they were notable by their absence from the scene one would have expected to see them.

Remove ads