• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Superhero systems?

Samurai

Adventurer
There are at least 4-5 lengthy reviews of Tri-stat SAS on RPG.net... I'd recommend reading them. They should give you a great overview of the game and system.

The 3 stats are only the tip of the iceberg in describing a character, and as was said, you can buy the Less Capable defect to simulate lower than average Strength, Agility, Wits, Charisma, etc. Unlike Hero, the math is very simple, just addition and subtraction. SAS is just as versatile and flexible as Hero, but much faster and easier to use.

Last edited:

Re: Thanks and more please!

clvrmonkey said:
Anybody care to comment on Marvel's game? Was there a DC one as well?
Yes there was. Mayfair's DC Heroes Role Playing Game. You can pick it up on half.com or eBay for about $10-$15 including shipping. An elegant, beautiful system, and lots of cool stuff. Pity it went out of print when Mayfair lost the DC license.

clvrmonkey

First Post
Re: Re: Thanks and more please!

Thorin Stoutfoot said:

Yes there was. Mayfair's DC Heroes Role Playing Game. You can pick it up on half.com or eBay for about $10-$15 including shipping. An elegant, beautiful system, and lots of cool stuff. Pity it went out of print when Mayfair lost the DC license.

I actually was just reading about this one. It looks like the system is back in Blood of Heroes. It looks like this reviewer has some mixed emotions about the other fluff tho.

Re: Re: Re: Thanks and more please!

clvrmonkey said:

I actually was just reading about this one. It looks like the system is back in Blood of Heroes. It looks like this reviewer has some mixed emotions about the other fluff tho.
Don't bother with Blood of Heroes. Get the DC Heroes boxed set, 2nd edition. You won't regret it. For $12 on half.com, it's probably one of the best deals in gaming.

In the age of $40 books, $12 for DC Heroes is a steal. Here's the
review for DC Heroes 3rd edition, which isn't as cool as the 2nd edition boxed set.

mmadsen

First Post
The complexity, particularly of character creation, does scare me a bit. While I would be more than willing to learn everything about everything that the system has to offer, my players are a little less enthusiastic. Even with DnD, I'm the only one who has read the core books, and consequently I do most of the work.
You'll definitely want to write up your players' characters then. That's not too bad.

If your players don't want to learn the D&D rules though, I doubt they'll really enjoy the intricacies of Hero combat: Stun vs. Body damage, PD vs. ED vs. resistant PD or ED, normal attacks vs. killing attacks, the speed table, endurance costs, recovery, etc.

Take a look at the on-line Hero 5 sample and see what you think. They also have an intro to the Hero System.

teitan

Legend
Synicism said:

One of the best benchmarks for judging how well a superhero RPG system will work is how well it deals with the various superhero types. Hero system can do them all.

<big ol snip>

OH my god, what you described sounds just like BESM and SAS. OH MY GOD... and I only need a degree in Mathematics!!! (Calculus is an exaggeration heh) Wow.

Jason (yes, Mike, I have played BESM a couple of times and SAS is to BESM what ADND was the DnD)

teitan

Legend
Re: Re: Thanks and more please!

Thorin Stoutfoot said:

Try more like 30-40 for the 3E version, which is prolly the best permutation of the rules under Mayfair. I suggest the less expensive, though poorly present, Blood of Heroes. Ignore the setting material (a setting free edition is in the works) and go with the rules. It is chart based, but it does work quite well, one roll and all for task resolution. Stat versus stat stuff and MEGS scales exceptionally well in my own experience.

Jason

Jhamin

First Post
teitan said:

<big ol snip>

OH my god, what you described sounds just like BESM and SAS. OH MY GOD... and I only need a degree in Mathematics!!! (Calculus is an exaggeration heh) Wow.

How is it that every Hero thread has to have somebody who says this?

Hero requires that you multiply and divide by 1/2. That's the most advanced math there is. I learned that in 5th grade, and my school district was underfunded.

The deal with Hero is that it lets you have as much or as little detail as you want. Many systems give you a rating then give you a general range of what you can accomplish with that ability. Hero defines exactly what you can and can't do. If it always bugged you that everybody had fuzzy ratings like "good", "Really good", and "not so good" or whatever they call it, then Hero breaks it down for you.

BESM is a very good system. I am a fan. I still would rather play Hero because I enjoy having an extremly detailed sheet rather than a few stats that encompass everything.

Just an opinion.

bondetamp

First Post
Then you have, as I feel I should point out, Godlike.

It is a fairly simple system with a very fast resolution mechanics. The setting is WWII, but that can easilly be changed.

You can download the pdf with (most of) the rules here.

Unless you'd rather have the OGL rules, which can be found here.

More stuff about the game can be found at the Hobgoblynn web site, located here, and you are of course always welcome at our small but friendly community here. :)

Remove ads