Superheroes are a hot commodity -- why aren't superhero RPG's?

aramis erak

Legend
Comic-book Superheroes are only a huge hit in the movies. Each genre has its high points, and Comic book supers are not a huge hit on dead tree - tho' still steady sellers.

Further, the over-the-top action of the movies is a poor translation to tabletop games... proper replication requires either extensive freedom or detailed rules... and consistency in narrative freedom is a bit of an issue. EIther way, keeping it moving fast is a problem long term.

Which Heroclix tends to do better than most Hero RPG's.

The supers games are really a different sub-genre from the current blockbusters. As are the comic books themselves.

I've enjoyed playing Marvel Heroic and all of TSR's marvel games; My preference would be MHR.

While I like Hero System, it doesn't do comics well for me. (It does do fantasy quite well.)

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm a long time Champions fan. Tried a few other systems back in the 80s, I think Villains and Vigilantes as well as whichever Marvel was around that time (FASERIP?). I really haven't touched any other systems in the middle. A few years back I almost got a Marvel Heroic Roleplay game off the group, that looked really good, but I am not the comic-guru to run in and the DM didn't commit. And then that system went out of stock when the license was up.

I'm in the new Cortex kickstarter and looking forward to it, and I've had the itch to play supers but I think I'd have to create a new group to do that and I'd rather play (I'm GMing another game).

So, what other modern superhero systems are good? I've heard a little about Icons, not much else.

Arilyn

Hero
I'm a long time Champions fan. Tried a few other systems back in the 80s, I think Villains and Vigilantes as well as whichever Marvel was around that time (FASERIP?). I really haven't touched any other systems in the middle. A few years back I almost got a Marvel Heroic Roleplay game off the group, that looked really good, but I am not the comic-guru to run in and the DM didn't commit. And then that system went out of stock when the license was up.

I'm in the new Cortex kickstarter and looking forward to it, and I've had the itch to play supers but I think I'd have to create a new group to do that and I'd rather play (I'm GMing another game).

So, what other modern superhero systems are good? I've heard a little about Icons, not much else.

Masks just came out. It comes off the Apocalypse Engine. It assumes you are playing young heroes, like Young Justice. It's very narrative driven, so if you like more crunch in your system, it might seem the powers take back seat to the drama. If you like the angst of teen supers, however, it's pretty good.

Icons is a very good system. Has taken some ideas from FATE.

Worlds in Peril is awesome. Lets you mix characters of varying power levels, which is what you see regularly in comics.

Godlike is another great system. Very flavourful with lots of background material. Narrative, but has some crunch. Great dice mechanics.

If you like FATE, Capes just came out. I haven't read it yet, but looks promising.

There's probably some that I'm missing.

Virgo

Explorer
Mutants & Masterminds is a pretty good system. Kind of a HEROized version of D20.

I think that's the one I'd like to try. I picked up the Hero's Handbook for "DC Adventures" (Superman fan here) which uses the M&M system.

A local game store is doing a "Introduction to RPGs" event and will be running different systems. I need to ask him if he's familiar with Mutants & Masterminds.

Last edited:

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
One system I found that makes for a good and interesting superhero system is the Cypher System. Specifically, my players were playing a game of The Strange, which involves world-hopping in a sort of "Sliders" way. One of those worlds was New Centropolis, and the PCs were some of the city's superpowered protectors. While the Cypher System isn't as crunchy or detailed as HERO and M&M, you can make a good concept of any of your favorite comic-book characters (to an extent) and still have them relatively balanced. You can make a Giant-Man, Green Lantern, Iron Man, Batman, Catwoman, Ms. Marvel, Black Widow, and still have them all on the same team.

I'm not certain why superhero RPGs aren't more popular. Up until recently, mostly we had a lot of solo films and origin stories, which don't lend themselves to group play. But with 3.5 Avengers films under our belt (I count Civil War as one and Winter Soldier as the .5, because of the team dynamic) we now have better examples of what you can do as a superhero team.

Honestly it's not that much different than a fantasy RPG, except that you don't usually kill the bad guy and looting the corpse (or unconscious person) on TV is frowned upon.

Psion

Adventurer
Mutants & Masterminds, while not perfect, is relatively good and relatively popular. It is very "gameable", so it requires some combination of a strong GM hand and play group that is willing to play to what's fun and genre appropriate over power-builds.

I think it's also important to consider that the gaming market is not merely a shadow of other media markets. Though interests in other media can drive interest in some games, the hobby has its own interest crowds.

Last edited:

Remove ads