• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Supernal/Abyssal Words of Power?

dontremb

First Post
When making a character, I found that you can't select Abyssal or Supernal as first level characters. I assumed (and the PhB backs me up, I think) that you can simply take the Linguist feat starting at second level to take these languages.

However, another player in the group said that you can't take those languages at first level because they contain words of power. So, because of these 'words of power,' our DM is now saying that you can't use that feat to learn these languages.

So, my question is, what are words of power, and how do they pertain to learning Abyssal/Supernal, and how do you learn those languages?

Thanks, in advance.

chitzk0i

Explorer
Page 25 of the PHB is where you can find the restriction on 1st level languages. I think the idea is that the languages of angels, gods, and demons aren't widely spoken, so you have to spend some effort to find someone who knows them (i.e. spend a feat).

dontremb

First Post
This was my exact answer to our DM, but he said something like, "Well, if that were true, they wouldn't have words of power in them. If you used a feat to get a language that gave you words of power, that would be unbalanced, since you'd have a whole bunch of new powers."

Tale

First Post
Supernal is a special language that itself includes magical effects and can be understood by all when spoken by an immortal. When a PC learns Supernal, they get none of that special stuff. But a PC can learn it, just not at level 1. There is a specific citation of that in the books, but I don't recall where or which. It may be in the language descriptions in the DMG.

I recall nothing of the sort for Abyssal.

UltimaGabe

First Post
This was my exact answer to our DM, but he said something like, "Well, if that were true, they wouldn't have words of power in them. If you used a feat to get a language that gave you words of power, that would be unbalanced, since you'd have a whole bunch of new powers."

Where exactly is your group getting this "words of power" thing from? What book is it in? What game mechanics are given to it?

If it's got no game mechanics to it, it's probably just fluff.

Tale

First Post
Because of what I stated earlier, I'd also like to point out that taking Supernal is nearly pointless for PCs. While Immortals who know Supernal (all of them) can speak the language to be understood by everyone and understand everyone else's language, the PCs don't get that bonus. The net effect of this is that the PCs already can understand people who normally know Supernal and they can already understand the PC. The only thing the PC gets out of it is being able to speak to Immortals without non-Immortals understanding the PC.

lukelightning

First Post
Supernal is a special language that itself includes magical effects and can be understood by all when spoken by an immortal. When a PC learns Supernal, they get none of that special stuff.

What about Deva PCs? They have that immortal origin feature...

Tale

First Post
What about Deva PCs? They have that immortal origin feature...
Dunno, I don't recall the exact wording, but the DMG was written before PHB2 so they may not have considered the possibility of Immortal PCs. I think it would be fair to deny them that. It doesn't exactly go into full detail of the superpowers this language presents, but it seemed mostly just a handwave. I don't know many who think their players should earn carte blanche reality alteration.

dontremb

First Post
Where exactly is your group getting this "words of power" thing from? What book is it in? What game mechanics are given to it?

If it's got no game mechanics to it, it's probably just fluff.

The only thing I can think of is that he got it from the DMG, because it's certainly not in the PhB. But I don't have the DMG in front of me.

The same player also said that Draconic is the same thing as Abyssal, just a different dialect. As soon as I get home I'm going to look up languages in the DMG, but can anyone help me out now? I have a feeling this player is just making crap up and our DM is thinking he's reading it out of the books.

Remove ads