Supernatural Horror in High Fantasy

Qwillion

First Post
Ego

Exactly why this works for a high magic setting.

I did something very similar to the old zombie plague Idea with and Epic level campaign. I had paragon lycanthropes, and everytime they killed someone they created a paragon lycanthrope. It was a conspiracy, it was sublte. Paragon creatures are as smart or smarter than most dragons, liches, vampires etc.

I turned the rules on thier head as low-level charcters the party had known for countless sessions became high powered menaces they had to destory, it was personal and it was devestating. The slaughtered a whole city and at the end they had no proof to offer that they did not just commit whole sale murder.

Kormydigar

First Post
Sometimes genre mixing without communication can lead to bad things. I was a player in a GURPS fantasy game once. It was a typical heroic fantasy campaign but there were only two regular players. Our GM decided to spice things up with some elements of horror ( but never told us about it). Our characters are investigating a dissapearance and are exploring a ruined and abandoned section of a city. Inside an old building we heard some noises and went to investigate. Creeping towards us in the darkness were two evil looking dogs. We prepared for combat and proceeded to engage the dogs when they suddenly breathed fire on us. The GM used stats from GURPS Horror for the hellhounds ( which was WAY overkill for two pc's of our point total) and was surprised at the instant TPK. The horror stats were meant to be used in a horror game where sensible pc's flee from such dangers as opposed to approaching it like a typical fantasy combat.

Genre mixing can be done, and done well. The players just need to be informed that the campaign will not be typical fantasy.

Remove ads