• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Supernatural - Second Season

Blastin

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I really liked the finale (although I saw
the arrival of John Winchester
coming a mile away, it still worked for me). But I have one problem with the episode. A single, glaring incongruity that keeps me from truly enjoying it.

The yellow-eyed demon is smart. Clever. Patient. And careful.

Why the Hell did he
leave the last bullet in the gun
?!?!?!
:confused: :confused: :confused:

I agree....love the show, but I wondered this myself. Spoiler
I thought that Jake was gonna pull the trigger and fire the gun into the keyhole thing to get it to open, but apparently you just needed to put the barrel in....a bit weird

Wycen

Explorer
Though I missed the events leading up to this episode, it was one of the mor exciting eps this season, appropriate for the finale. I remembered the gun from last season, but this time it reminded me of a show I caught on Showtime a couple years ago, Dead Man's Gun.

http://www.tv.com/dead-mans-gun/show/2375/summary.html

Of course that was about a gun forged in hell and probably wouldn't kill demons, but if you want to see another show about a supernatural gun, there it is.

shilsen

Adventurer
Could someone post a quick synopsis of the episode for me? I took off on vacation to India and missed it. Thanks, in advance.

D.Shaffer

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
A single, glaring incongruity that keeps me from truly enjoying it.
Possible idea on that
Remember, the Colt is a holy weapon, designed to kill demons permanently. I'm surprised he can actually TOUCH it, actually. I'd bet there's something on it that'd keep him from removing the last bullet. I nice throwaway line would have been good for that, thought.

As for the actual gate...maybe he didnt have a choice? There's rules to the universe we dont know. Maybe one of them is that you have to leave SOME means to open it? That or it's simply not possible to put a permanent seal on it. You see that in anime a lot, in any case.

DonTadow

First Post
D.Shaffer said:
Possible idea on that
Remember, the Colt is a holy weapon, designed to kill demons permanently. I'm surprised he can actually TOUCH it, actually. I'd bet there's something on it that'd keep him from removing the last bullet. I nice throwaway line would have been good for that, thought.

As for the actual gate...maybe he didnt have a choice? There's rules to the universe we dont know. Maybe one of them is that you have to leave SOME means to open it? That or it's simply not possible to put a permanent seal on it. You see that in anime a lot, in any case.
My thought on seals for gates (any genre) is that at some point, you may needto put something directly into it, something that can't be put into something any other way.

Sugarmouse

First Post
I watched the two episodes back to back, and although I really like Supernatural, this two parter season ender was too Hollywood for me. Some parts were too cliche, especially in part two. :\

The big attraction that Supernatural has (imho) is that they tend to blur the formula in the execution. The werewolf episode being a point in case for me. The formula is still there of course, but the grimness allows for the cost of (subjective) victory to be given play time.

Let's see where season three takes us. Hooray for tongue-in-cheek gallows humour. :D

Sugarmouse

First Post
Spoilers in here, by way of explanation!

Crothian said:
What was too Hollywood?

Sorry for the delay, Crothian. :)

Initially - it was the feel of how part two progressed. I need to spoiler this stuff... hmm, ok Blacktexting:

1) The first instance is the 'repetition' of how Dean sold his soul. I think I understand what the writers were trying to do (i.e. it was the only thing that Dean knew of that was a surefire way to get Sam back without any attached badness (I think the Demon was just twisting the knife a bit, personally - I could be wrong;) however it felt too close together to what John had done for Dean.

2) The roadhouse massacre survivor, Helen. Sure - it was a heavy plot device. But it would have been more fulfilling to my persona as the viewer if that part of thestoryline had been resolved next season. A rewrite (yes, I know all about hindsight being 20/20 :) ) with Ash calling Dean with the safe info is an alternative. Helen showing up to help the Winchester boys seemed too forced to me.

3) Bobby's lines after they manage to close the gate. Once again, it seemed too forced to me.

Perhaps it was also the pacing of the episode. I believe that there was concern that there wasn't a third season for the writers? Maybe tried to cram too much into these two episodes. Ah well.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I don't think they got renewed until after a day or two after the finale was aired. So I guess they wrapped up all the loose ties as quickly as possible. It definitely felt rushed to me, anyway. But better that than leaving things hanging for ever.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads