• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Supervillain's Handbook?

I have been inspired to run a Villain’s game for the longest time, and I was so excited to hear about the Supervillain’s Handbook. I thought it was suposed to be out in January, but I noticed that Silver Age is coming out soon.

I am excited about both, but was really looking forward to running a villains one-shot at the summer conventions/Gameday.

Any word on when this is coming out?

fireinthedust

Explorer
try the M&M boards, I guess. Or their site.

Frankly, I think there isn't much one can't do with the current rules. All you need is in that main book, so what in particular is stopping you? Is it advice on a villains game play style?

I'd figure out PCs, then pick their goals and motivations. They're the protagonists, so find roadblocks for them (just like for heroes), except they're in the villain theme/genre (ie: instead of saving the museum, you rob it). Then figure out if the PCs/GM have a limit for the gore/evil of their characters.

If you need something to read, Villains United was a sweet comic. I normally wouldn't have bothered, but I did and it was amazing.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
It was pushed back (indefinitely?) and considering that the Silver Age source book seemed to come from nowhere (and nearing publication), I'm thinking they decided to temporarily kill that product and work on an other age book.

Last edited:

Frankly, I think there isn't much one can't do with the current rules. All you need is in that main book, so what in particular is stopping you? Is it advice on a villains game play style?

I'd figure out PCs, then pick their goals and motivations. They're the protagonists, so find roadblocks for them (just like for heroes), except they're in the villain theme/genre (ie: instead of saving the museum, you rob it). Then figure out if the PCs/GM have a limit for the gore/evil of their characters.

If you need something to read, Villains United was a sweet comic. I normally wouldn't have bothered, but I did and it was amazing.

I am still going to try it with the core book. I just like to have the supplement for any tips on how to stat effective Heroes as NPC's and things like additional powers not in the core, just for villains.

I have a couple of really good game ideas, so that is not a problem.

Villains United? I will definately have to check that out!

It was pushed back (indefinitely?) and considering that the Silver Age source book seemed to come from nowhere (and nearing publication), I'm thinking they decided to temporarily kill that product and work on an other age book.

That is both awesome and sad. I hope it is not indefinate.

I am jazzed about the Silver Age Book though.

ValhallaGH

Explorer
things like additional powers not in the core, just for villains.
They've already got Transform, Immunity, and Nemesis. How much more cheat do they need?
Invisibility? Got it. To all senses, period? Got it (Concealment 10 + Insubstantial 4).
Stare of death? Got it (Mental Blast at the PL).
"Worship Me" gas? Got it (Emotion Control, love only, cloud area).
And they still have the ultimate "I win" button: Transform. "I've got Transform: living to dead; make a Fort save."
Villain powers tend to be the same as hero powers but used in a crueler and more vicious way. This is already covered by the rules.

As for statting heroes, use the various heroic archetypes. 2e has a number already but the Instant Superheroes book gives you around 100 more to play with. Almost 150, if you count the PL 6 "sidekicks" in the back.
Heck, you can even use the various villain archetypes from any M&M books as either big-name heroes or as rival villains stopping the party from messing up their own schemes.

Good luck.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
As for statting heroes, use the various heroic archetypes. 2e has a number already but the Archetype Archive gives you around 120 more to play with. Almost 200, if you count the PL 6 "sidekicks" in the back.

Archetype Archive or Instant Superheroes? I think you mean the latter. All of the hero & villain archetypes combined add up to about 60 archetypes, IIRC. Though that's not counting Freedom City archetypes, or the Street-Level Archetypes, or probably a couple of other PDFs I'm forgetting...

Last edited:

Aus_Snow

First Post
Isn't Supernaturals (is that still the working title?) also going to be released soon?

Perhaps that's one (other?) reason SVH is uh, 'a bit' delayed. ;)

Remove ads