• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Support Your Local Game Store?

Barak

First Post
Hmm.. When I was back in Montreal, I had a great FLGS. They sold RPGs at the US listed price. Now.. Paying US prices with canadian money, now that's a great discount. The owner was a gamer through and true, and made enough money through CCGs and all the other crap (his words) he sold that he didn't mind selling RPGs at a very low profit. Now that was cool.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Potentially, I think the whole online vs. FLGS decision is only going to get worse for the FLGS as prices increase.

When 3.0 was first released, hardcore books were US$19.95 - $24.95. 30% off from amazon was a savings of around $6-$7.50. With books now approaching $29.95-39.95 as the standard, the savings now becomes $9-$12. In some cases, $12 is the cost of an additional gaming supplement.

If one can get a book and a supplement online for the same price of just a book at the FLGS, it's hard to see a fiscal reason not to order online.

Personally, I'd much rather buy local, but since there are hundreds of supplements that I want (and I do not have unlimited $$ to spend), it comes down to economics, and I usually order online.

Impeesa

Explorer
My FLGS is sort of a mixed bag... for special orders and whatnot, I've only ever gone that route once or twice, but they were very good. I had the call saying it was in within 3 or 4 days. On the other hand, RPG stuff gets a small new release display in the back, next to a big jam-packed bookshelf with all the other stuff. Selection is fairly decent, but they take a 15% markup on MSRP. Bah. I still buy everything there, just because I can't afford to travel to cons and I'm too impatient (and lacking in the credit card area) to buy online.

--Impeesa--

Mucknuggle

First Post
Barak said:
Hmm.. When I was back in Montreal, I had a great FLGS. They sold RPGs at the US listed price. Now.. Paying US prices with canadian money, now that's a great discount. The owner was a gamer through and true, and made enough money through CCGs and all the other crap (his words) he sold that he didn't mind selling RPGs at a very low profit. Now that was cool.

Are you referring to Le Valet d'Coeur ? That store is amazing, makes me wish I had more cash and lived downtown.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Mucknuggle said:
Are you referring to Le Valet d'Coeur ? That store is amazing, makes me wish I had more cash and lived downtown.

Capitaine Québec has pretty good prices... Better than Le Valet d'Coeur... But both are great stores.

Andargor

zenld

First Post
its all about the local store. i buy things at cons. i have bought things online. but at the end of the day, i like the store, i like the owner and employees, and i like walking in and flipping thru things before i buy it.

gaming is a community. if you have ever been to a con you have seen this. your flgs is just a small sample of that on a more consistent basis. so support the flgs; mini cons held daily.

and i hope to see all of you there.

TalonComics

First Post
I'm not going to get on my soapbox again but I'll answer the question at hand.

People buying books doesn't really bother me. The thing that bothers me the most is when publishers sell pre-released books in advance at cons but continue to force distributors into complying with a street date.

Both the Stargate and the Dragonlance books were available at Gencon but neither have been released yet. I know publishers want people to buy their books and Gencon is a great way to do that but is it really necessary to backhand retailers who support your product as well? :(

I'm all for supporting those who support gaming and bringing in new players to our hobby. Cons do that as well but I just wish publishers would at least think twice about us retailers who support their product daily instead of just 4 days a year.

~Derek

Barak

First Post
Indeed, it was the Valet d'coeur. Not sure if they are still like that, or if they are still owned by the same guy. The owner at least used to be that asian guy, who, by all accounts, was really, really rich. They also had some really cool employees, at least back then. And if you were friends with them, you got some really good inside info. I made some serious money on M:TG thanks to some info from one guy there. Of course, he made even more. That guy even payed his dentist with magic cards. :)

I only used Captain Quebec for comics, though. Back when I was there, their RPG selection truly sucked.

Edit: Oh and for those of you from Montreal, you -really- need to go visit the TOG. He's located somewhere near the plaza St-Hubert, and he has -lots- of tables, cheap snacks, video and computer games, RPG rooms, and he sometimes holds D&D tournaments, but mostly CCGs tournaments. He also holds ALL-nighters, with LAN setup and all. Very nice setup. Tell Yannick (the owner) that JF Mador sent ya, and you'll be treated extra nice. The guy -did- drive 8 hours to come to my wedding. :)

Last edited:

Wraithdrit

First Post
Also, I find bartering is alive and well. At least at one of my FLGSs. I go in all the time and say: 'Hey, product xyz is coming out next week. You guys gonna have it.'

Friendly Employee: 'Of course. For you, anything.'
Me: 'How much you gonna sell it for?'
Him: 'I can give ya ten percent off.'
Me (in the case of 3.5 books): 'What if I can get you two full sets, and several other PHB sales, will you cut us a deal.'
Him (realizing he can be sure to get the sales at a discount): 'Sure. How does 20% off sound?'
Me: 'Fine in my book.'

It usually works that way, assuming I can work up something on bulk. Or if I see a particular title has lanquished on his shelf a while, I just off to buy it for cheaper. He usually agrees.

Bagpuss

Legend
I can only speak of my experience in the UK, with Gencon, there the publishers tend not to offer discounts, although occasionally they have stuff that isn't out yet. If they do offer discounts, its like 10% if you buy three items.

The people offering discounts at Gencon were the FLGS that paid to have their own stall. They are directly in competition with each other at the convention so it only makes sense for them to offer a discount. My FLGS was offering 10% off everything, and up to 30% even on some brand new items, then their all the stuff that they have got on the cheap or second hand which might have had discounts of 50%. They don't offer that sort of discount at home, but then their isn't any competition at home.

Excluding this year, the FLGS has done really well at Gencon, and I know that they made nearly as much at the convention as they did the rest of the year, on one occasion.

Remove ads