• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Surprising character builds.

Sacrosanct

Legend
This thread isn’t so much around optimized builds, because those are intentional, but what character builds have you played with and they ended up surprising for mechanical reasons, one way or the other, for good or for bad? Characters you did not build for optimized reasons, but may have ended up that way

For example, the two campaigns I’m playing in, in one I have a halfling ranger gloomstalker. In the other, a gnome abjurer. Both are level 4, but it’s very slow progression and both have had many hours and days playing.
In both cases, I was a bit surprised. With the gloomstalker, he is almost OP. Better than the assassin at first round...well...assassinating. Bonus action or hunters mark, then you get two attacks on round 1, with one of them with an extra d8 damage. With a long bow, that’s 3d8+2d6 base, not even counting +3 DEX bonus or sharpshooter.

With the abjurer, even after many combats, I’ve yet to lose a single core HP. Which I suppose is the point lol. But I wasn’t expecting to remain untouched so far and so long. Between shield reaction and abjurer ward, I’ve been able to prevent or reduce all damage so far. Especially in combination with timely spells like protection from evil.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Halfling Swashbuckler Rogue. Super simple build, mostly built for mobility and parkour, and he just wrecks everything.

Gnome Swashbuckler/Bladesinger. He is an odd build, especially since he has Skilled, Mage Slayer, and Crossbow Expert, as feats, but also uses Booming Blade which competes with the CE bonus attack. In spite of only having 2d6 SA damage, and his spells being 90% utility, protection, and control, and needing Dex, Int, and Con, he manages to output impressive damage, and provide clutch spellcraft every once in a while, like web catching all the spellcasters so they were stuck in a disadvantageous position and prevented from opening a door to release super zombies. Then, when they cast a couple conjugation spells...I set the webs on fire and they both failed their concentration saves and died the next round.

nexalis

Numinous Hierophant
I too am playing a halfling gloom stalker, and have been surprised at his effectiveness in combat. This is in spite of the fact that I have never yet had an opportunity to use my "invisibility against creatures that rely on darkvision" feature.

One small correction though: halflings can't use longbows without incurring disadvantage on all attack rolls because they are heavy weapons. My own character uses a shortbow so he can get off his Extra Attack since I don't have the Crossbow Expert feat.

Shiroiken

Legend
One that turned out to be surprisingly good was an Eldritch Knight that focused on archery. Created before SCAG (or he'd have done melee with Booming Blade or Green Flame Blade), it turned into a surprisingly good build. He alternated between using multiattack and firebolt/single attack, depending on the need (or both with Action Surge).

Markh3rd

Explorer
Mine is a half-elf swashbuckler/battlemaster. Now I recognize that particular combination is a popular build but it was the roleplay side that just grew on it's own. You see, he was originally going to be Tabaxi but according to AL players handbook +1 rules it wasn't allowed. So I made him a half-elf and took the charlatan background. His alter ego became "Leonidas el Rey!" the greatest swordsman who ever lived. He was using his disguise kit to look like a tabaxi.

What happened next was that after one of my adventures a hat of disguise dropped. So I can now look like anyone and with expertise in deception it's very hard to notice I'm not who I say I am. (Only the DM knows I'm a half-elf and If I got dispelled the disguise kit is still in effect. My party still thinks I'm a Tabaxi to this day.) That led to the Actor feat so I can also perfectly imitate the sound of someone's voice and I am now the ultimate infiltrator.

This has led to many creative solutions to scenarios and even if all else fails and combat breaks out, well......I just happen to be the greatest swordsman who ever lived!

Bupp

Adventurer
This isn't so much surprising in power, but changing the "fluff" of a class to change how the "crunch" is defined in a surprising way.

I made a warforged tome warlock. I play him pretty much as a cyborg, with his warlock powers being different cybernetic implants. When he levels up and gains new powers? Cybernetic upgrades.

Eldrich blast is blasters in his forearms. Hold person is where he "sets his blasters to stun". Find Familiar is a drone that is part of his torso. Armor of Agathys is a force field generator. Mirror Image a projector array. Comprehend Languages when cast as a ritual is a translation program that takes time to run thru the database.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads