• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Surreal RPGs

Oni

First Post
It's a very social RPG - there are no rules for violent confrontation, as close as it gets is coersion which is handled much like you would expect in an 80's TV show - when it really comes down to pushing and shoving, you have your thugs do it.

But then how would I shoot J.R.?

Actually it sounds really interesting. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Pepster

First Post
Little Fears

This game had me regress to on overweight 10-year-old boy. All the adults were talking like children by the end of the game. Very creepy, and then I read about the controversy surrounding the game on the interwebs.

That's an experience I'll never forget.

As a side note, I run Low Life. Great setting and wacky art to boot. I might run a couple of off the schedule games at Origins.

Pepster

DerekSTheRed

Explorer
How about Amber the diceless rpg based on the very surreal fiction of Roger Zelazny. It's a very social game that requires a very good gm. It's more fun to play with more people, but it's also harder to gm with more players.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
We had a fairly long running Torg campaign in high school. A player ran an adventure as a one-off on a week when the regular GM either was gone or wanted to play.

He created the GIJoe cosm, with an adventure featuring almost every toy we could think of, as well as the world law of "You can never kill anyone, just shoot the weapons out of their hands or blow up their vehicle."

Then, to make things utterly ridiculous, he managed to have the good guys from the GIJoe cosm attacking the Paranoia Cosm.

My god...that mess was surreal...and a golden role-playing moment...because somehow all those ingredients thrown together made a good stew of gaming.

DS

My god...that mess was surreal...and a golden role-playing moment...because somehow all those ingredients thrown together made a good stew of gaming.

DS

In my opinion, the good stew of gaming there was because you were already invested. You knew the characters of the cosm, you were familiar with the whole cosms idea from TORG, and you were all there to have fun. Awesome roleplaying is more than likely the result of that kind of situation in my experience.

How about Amber the diceless rpg based on the very surreal fiction of Roger Zelazny.

I didn't find the source fiction all that surreal, and gaming in that ficton seemed almost like common sense rather than bizarre. But then again, I cut my teeth on Michael Moorcock's Jerry Cornelius chronicles, so I gauge the surreality of fiction a bit differently than many.

That said, Amber could become quite surreal with the right group and intentions.

Just like Changeling did for a group I knew who played it regularly while on LSD.

Remove ads