• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Surrounded by Gaming, but Not Gaming

d20Dwarf

Explorer
It can be a bummer to move and not be able to find a game, so share your experiences with that so we can all commiserate. Ghettognome and I moved to Austin in November, and so far haven't been able to find a D&D game for Saturday nights. It didn't bug me at first, I filled my time with board games, poker, and work, but now I'm starting to want to play D&D again, or d20 Modern, and we can't find a darn game! :)

I don't like PBP or chat-based games, and I don't really want to play a different system...gosh darnit, how many of those millions of PHBs were sold in Austin?! :)

So there's my story, how about y'all?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
You can't find a game in Austin? Weird. I've never been, but my wife went to college there and she was subjected to D&D guys a-go-go.

On topic, When I moved to DC, I thought I would have to give up gaming because I couldn't find a group going. Then I found a Shadowrun group who was casting about for more. I submitted my character (a corporate street samuri with all social skills maxxed out) and in no time at all I was rolling d6s like a maniac. I made a whole bunch of friends out of that game. Good times.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I think there must be more people on EN World with "Location: Austin, TX" under their name than any other location I've seen. It'll happen, Wil. Maybe you're just trying to hard? ;)

Ambrus

Explorer
The trick I learned when I moved to a new city was to find the local LARP community ASAP. There's always one or more LARPS being played somewhere so ask around at the local game store or check for gamer clubs at the local university. Go to a few sessions and you'll suddenly be a part of a very large and friendly gaming community. Everyone in a LARP usually plays in several table-top games as well and a few discreet inquiries can usually net you a free spot at a table or additional gamers for your own campaign. You may even end up enjoying the LARP itself. The local SCA is likewise usually teeming with gamers. It's a strategy that's worked out for me quite well in two cities so far. Although I don't currently play in any LARPs, I'm still part of an extended community of gamers, between 50 and 100 individuals, who all have the same interests as I do. :cool:

d20Dwarf

Explorer
Piratecat said:
91 EN World members have Austin in their location field, and there are more than 20 threads about Austin in the Gamers Seeking Gamers forum (including your own.) Heck, Phil Reed is there!

Here's a few (including a Spycraft game, I think); good luck with the hunt:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=94459
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=98979
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=92052
http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=90072

Thanks, it's just that 6-month-old postings for hybrid games every third Sunday outside Austin in houses with cats isn't my cup of tea. :) I'm sure it seems simple to someone not living in Austin, but you should try following up on some of these sometime... :p And since I don't have search capability, there really are only 2 threads in that forum, and one is mine (0 responses). :)

Besides, this is a thread of woe, not solutions! :p

nyrfherdr

First Post
Don't get discouraged. Finding new gamers can be a challenge.

It was a year after I moved to Portland that I finally got into a game and I did it by volunteering to DM a game at the FLGS I found.
I met lots of people I didn't enjoy gaming with, but I also met some people that became good friends who also happened to game.
The other thing I did was make friends and invite them to game. Not everyone does, but I was often surprised by who got hooked.

When I moved to California, it was even harder.
I used the Gamer seeking Gamer here for a year. I tried several games that didn't work out. I joined a group that met regularly and that was OK, but something was missing.

Then someone who I had made friends with, casually mentioned being a gamer. We invited a few other friends and we now have a regular group as good as any I've ever gamed with.

Including a newcomer to gaming, some old timers, and 2 young-uns (under 14).
It will happen. Be friendly, be persistent and make friends. The friends you make will be your best bet for gamers.

Game ON!
Nyrfherdr

d20Dwarf

Explorer
nyrfherdr said:
It was a year after I moved to Portland that I finally got into a game and I did it by volunteering to DM a game at the FLGS I found.

This is a good idea, maybe I'll start running short games at a FLGS, and then quietly talk to those people that seem like reasonably good players. I just fear that the ratio would be very low. :)

Remove ads