• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Survey Launch | Player's Handbook Playtest 5 | Unearthed Arcana | D&D

Remathilis

Legend
Its like designing a buggy video game and then changing entire game mechanics around to avoid just fixing the bug.
The Elder Scrolls Online did exactly that.

ESO doesn't use skill cooldown timers; all skills are on a 1 second "global cooldown" before you can use another skill. It also incorporates light and heavy attacks to mirror Skyrim's playstyle. What happened was that a bug was found in beta that you could light attack and then immediately use a skill in the same 1 second window; the skill animation cancels the light attack animation, but not the attack itself. Thus, optimal combat is to light-attack/skill/light-attack/skill, called "weaving" or "cancelling". It was absolutely not intended and has been a design headache for the devs because it requires two button presses per second to use but removing it would absolutely destroy the combat system, so they ended up working around it and even creating item sets and skills that encourage it. It's a tooltip on the loading screen. These kinds of fundamental coding bugs get incorporated into "features" all the time. And removing them after a while ruins the experience.

ESO doesn't use skill cooldown timers; all skills are on a 1 second "global cooldown" before you can use another skill. It also incorporates light and heavy attacks to mirror Skyrim's playstyle. What happened was that a bug was found in beta that you could light attack and then immediately use a skill in the same 1 second window; the skill animation cancels the light attack animation, but not the attack itself. Thus, optimal combat is to light-attack/skill/light-attack/skill, called "weaving" or "cancelling". It was absolutely not intended and has been a design headache for the devs because it requires two button presses per second to use but removing it would absolutely destroy the combat system, so they ended up working around it and even creating item sets and skills that encourage it. It's a tooltip on the loading screen. These kinds of fundamental coding bugs get incorporated into "features" all the time. And removing them after a while ruins the experience.

The difference you neglected to note, however, is that if we follow that logic and simply plug in the issue at hand relativel to 5e, then we'd be maintaining flight as is.

Which I doubt is the stance you take in this matter.

Chaosmancer

Legend
if by correct you mean 'pretty heavily weighted in a way that rarely, if ever, occurs naturally', then yes. This still means flight makes it a lot more of a problem, because something that occurs somewhere between 'never' and 'only if the DM screws up the encounter design entirely' now occurs frequently.

yes, as far as I am concerned these circumstances pretty much never occur, and just to summarize, those circumstances are

1) the party can kite the enemy indefinitely, the enemy cannot close the gap
2) the party can reach the enemy with their ranged attack, but the enemy cannot reach the party
3) the enemy cannot take cover
4) the enemy decides to try to close the gap despite 1 to 3, over several rounds

Yes, I do not have this case.

It occurs frequently how? It can't occur in many instances. For example, if you are in a forest, then these circumstances cannot occur, because the enemy can take cover. The same in any town setting. Even in a plain it may be possible for the enemy to take cover from a flying enemy, just as easily as they can take cover from a ranged enemy.

You keep acting like these four assumptions are ridiculous to make, then making them for the flying PC as though they are obvious. If cover alone can stop a ranged character, why can't it stop a ranged flying character?

When the flier is safe while the rest of the party isn't, the party can just run / take cover while the flier takes care of the rest. Even if they cannot, this in no way reduces the issue the flier poses for the encounter.

1) Interesting that you put "the enemy cannot close the gap" as a point of ridiculousness, but the idea that the party can run while a flying character solos the encounter seems perfectly reasonable to you. If the entire party can run and escape the enemy... why can't they kite the enemy? Or, if there is effective cover, why can't the ranged character and the party reach this cover and use it to equal effect?

2) Yes, actually, if the party cannot flee this absolutely reduces the issue of the flier. Because then the flier is no different from a ground archer, who stays 90 ft back from the main fight. Whether they are 90ft in the air or 90 ft away on the ground, they are very likely to be out of range and entirely safe from the enemy that is focusing on the rest of the party.

I don't often have fliers, but I do have rogue archers, and they often remain entirely uninjured in fights, because they take up a position significantly far away from the fight, and just snipe into the melee while the rest of the party fights in the scrum. This is exactly the "worst case" of a flier in the same situation.

I assumed nothing, I replied to the scenario you gave me

No, you are constantly assuming aspects of the encounter to make flight a bigger and bigger problem.

I quoted where you said that...

No you didn't, because I never said that flyers warp the rules of the game. You seem to have trouble figuring out who you are responding to.

I am no fan of long quotes, I quote the pertinent part (feel free to disagree with my assessment).

A single sentence is never the "pertinent part" of a multi-point post.

I am not sure what you are going on about, what you are referring to is not in the post I quoted. You said encounter rules need fixing, how is something that can use improvement (encounter building) a defense for something else also being broken (flight) ?

Then you need to reread the post past the first sentence. I never even said anything about encounter rules needing fixing. Seriously, here's the post, I don't talk about encounter rules AT ALL, I never have.

I did not disagree with your exploration point, did I? We were discussing combat however, and there Find Familiar is not all that useful, which is what I wrote

So, at the very least we agree flight is not disruptive to exploration. Great.

Now, what hard to reach places were you talking about that matter in a combat scenario, that flight is somehow uniquely qualified to handle but nothing else is?

I'd say the flier has much better chances of accomplishing something useful. Turn invisible, fly into the castle, open the gate. Now try that with an archer ;)

Interesting. So, we aren't talking about the flight spell here, this must be someone without it. Okay, so here's what I'd do with an archer. Ready? Turn invisible, climb up the walls of the castle, open the gate. Done.

Woof, almost pulled something with that one. Oh, and before you try and talk about athletics checks, refresh yourself on the rules of of climbing. Athletics checks wouldn't be needed to climb anything but a sheer surface, per the rules. And even if you REALLY want to insist that I absolutely must make checks... Then I'll just use a race with a climbing speed.

I found your kiting conditions unrealistic, and said that given these broken criteria, flight does indeed not make things worse

So, if we do not assume that the parties ranged attacks can reach the enemy, without the enemies ranged attacks being able to reach the party.... how is flight a problem? After all, if they are in reach of the enemies attacks, then they are vulnerable to damage.

Or do you assume that the flying character will always be out of reach of the enemies attacks? While you consider it unrealistic that the archer can do the same.

is your new idea that any encounter should work, no matter what? There is a certain baseline competence that every encounter needs.

Interesting. So it is bad to redesign an encounter based on someone being able to fly. But redesigning it based on someone being able to cast fireball is "baseline competence that every encounter needs"

Why is one PC ability bad to design around and the other just baseline competence?

Was my point that flight is so broken that there is no possible way to design an encounter where it is not still broken? No, so not sure what your point is.

Of course I can have a murder mystery that is solved by 'speak with dead' completely, but I can also have one where it helps little to not at all.

And thus you find my point. Of course you can have a combat encounter that is completely solved by flight. But you can also have one where it helps little to not at all. Flight isn't any more special or difficult to deal with than any other PC ability. You complained you have to take it into account, specifically stating "but it still means I have to design the encounter differently because of them (and potentially a lot more than just the encounters)" This is true of ALL PC abilities, you have to design encounters and challenges to account for the abilities.

No, I do not have player Changelings. I am not sure how pointing out other things that can be problematic in any way reduces the problems with flight.

Because people treat flight like it is a special problem. A Changeling or other character able to instantly disguise themselves as anyone? Not a problem at all (until you have to deal with it). Flight? a dread apparition that hangs over every game and must be curtailed less the game be lost.

But that's just... wrong. Many times people make assumptions about flight that ignore fundamental aspects of the situation. Like assuming the combat encoutner will be a one-sided slaughter, but not accounting for the rest of the party.

Thank you, that was my point. There are some I do not want however, and flight is among them. I prefer a more gritty / realistic world. I do not like constructs or water breathing / aquatic races for the same reason. Heck, darkvision is something I gladly would get rid of / drastically reduce in power and occurrence. I see no reason why Elves or Dwarves would have it for example, and those races that get it will often get disadvantage in broad daylight.

You seem to be missing my point though. Yes, you have to account for flight. And darkvision. And magic. And tremorsense now, but none of this is uniquely difficult to deal with. they are all about the same level of difficulty.

And I don't care if you prefer gritty worlds and want to take out large chunks of the game. That doesn't mean you need to act like flight is particularly egregious. It isn't.

Bardic Dave

Adventurer

History repeats itself! Way back in the early nineties, "canceling" certain attacks into other attacks was a bug in Street Fighter II, which the developers decided to build around because it made the game more fun (and raised the skill cap dramatically). The concept was so successful that basically every fighting game since has deliberately included this bug/feature. This was essentially the genesis of "combos" in fighting games, and it all started with a bug.

mamba

Legend
So, in answer to my previous question, you just aren't actually reading what I post in reply to you:
that was not in the reply you linked to (both links went to the same post), and I did not agree with it in my reply. If you refer to something that is not in the post you refer to (my reply post…) and complain that I did not consider it, that is on you.

Yes, I read it and it has nothing to do with your ‘properly’ designed encounter either, so there is no reason to bring it up now again.

This is going nowhere and your replies are all over the place instead of sticking to what we are discussing at the given moment (right now that is your definition of ‘properly’, which you still did not give), not interested in continuing this.

mamba

Legend
So, if given optimum conditions for kiting... it is just as good or superior to flight, as no one will continue to pursue you. If we are to give the enemy intelligent reactions to kiting, why are we insisting that flight will always allow a single character to destroy the enemy completely with no reaction?
no one is talking about always, nice strawman.

All I said is that encounters need to be adjusted for fliers and they trivialize certain things. That has by now been essentially accepted, but somehow you insist on shifting the goalpost to show that I was wrong when I said so. Now they have to always be an issue that cannot be countered for fliers to be an issue at all.

Earlier nothing else was allowed to also be problematic, because if anything else is, then that apparently means fliers are ok, as if two wrongs do make a right somehow, instead of the obvious ‘more than one thing can be a problem’.

But you have planted your flag alongside flight being uniquely disruptive. With your best example being a character with flight soloing a castle. Which is not a good argument, since it ignores many, many factors.
that was not my example, it was yours. You said a solo flier and a solo archer both can accomplish nothing. I showed one way how the flier can theoretically be a problem in a way that is much harder to impossible for the archer.

I also did not say the flier is uniquely disruptive or the only thing that can be. Nice strawman again.

I am not interested in continuing this. Basically everyone agreed to what I said initially but still wants to prove me wrong by showing cases where there is no problem, but I never said that fliers always are, so this proves nothing

Last edited:

mamba

Legend
You seem to have trouble figuring out who you are responding to.
A single sentence is never the "pertinent part" of a multi-point post.
yeah, something got jumbled up there, not sure what happened, not going to try and reconstruct it either

Because people treat flight like it is a special problem. A Changeling or other character able to instantly disguise themselves as anyone? Not a problem at all (until you have to deal with it).
well, I considered both a problem, so there is that ;)

that was not in the reply you linked to (both links went to the same post)

Post 198. I may have pasted the wrong link but I did not misquote the post #.

And uh, lol at trying to skirt around this by trying to argue only what you quoted of my post counts.

Yes, I read it and it has nothing to do with your ‘properly’ designed encounter either, so there is no reason to bring it up now again.

You know I originally took this out as I figured this would be too snarky, but I cant pass up the opportunity to prove how incredibly predictable this response was:

Screenshot_20230519_172737_Chrome.jpg

This is going nowhere and your replies are all over the place instead of sticking to what we are discussing at the given moment

Given you apparently aren't reading what I post its not surprising you aren't following the ebb and flow of the conversation.

You've also already stated more than once that you "aren't interested" in continuing. If thats so then I suggest you stop replying. Me and others obviously are still interested in the convo to continue but you're under no obligation to keep replying back to us. You can't act like we're placing some undue burden on you just by replying.

mamba

Legend
You know I originally took this out as I figured this would be too snarky, but I cant pass up the opportunity to prove how incredibly predictable this response was:
you can leave it in, doesn’t bother me. I can write a post and predict reactions too, I much rather write a better post though than ‘predict’ in which way it is failing ;)

At no point did I say anything about being the sole arbiter, but I very much have to interpret what you are writing myself, as there is no explanation attached that helps with that.

If you think anything in that post even comes close to defining ‘properly’ in the context of encounter building (or any other), then you need to look up what a definition is.

That post gave about the vaguest ideas about encounter building. They are so vague that I have a hard time thinking of any encounter that does not meet all of them, regardless of how bad its design is (well, the set piece encounter can fail one by me randomly rolling the enemies to add, but that is about it). Followed by some encounters and claims about those encounters.

There is a reason why I wrote you never defined it after that post of yours

This is not productive, I am out

Last edited:

as there is no explanation attached that helps with that.

Ember tells you what the post is communicating and you assert an opposite reality in response.

If you think anything in that post even comes close to defining ‘properly’ in the context of encounter building (or any other)

I quoted you the relevant part and again you assert an opposite reality where nothing is good enough because reasons.

They are so vague

Words mean things. Calling something "vague" so you can justify dismissing it is a gross misuse of the word.

There is a reason why I wrote you never defined it after that post of yours

Yes, because you don't actually read whats posted to you.

This is not productive, I am out

Yes you said that. I look forward to your reply 😉

Remove ads