• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Survey of non d20 Abilities and Score Generation

Aus_Snow

First Post
Charwoman Gene said:
A note about the NWOD stats. they correspond to "Power, Finesse, Resistance" in "Physical, Mental, and Social"
Yup, 3x3. Cute - I quite like it. :)

CP2020

Nine stats, too: Reflexes, Body Type (BT), Intelligence, Cool, Empathy, Movement Allowance (MA), Tech, Attractiveness, and Luck.

Use one of these methods for generation:

* Roll 9d10, divide total any way you like.
* Roll 9d10, reroll 1s (min. stat = 2), place each die anywhere.
* Point buy (anything from 50 to 80 points), divide as you like. Note: 80 would be ridiculous.

Glyfair

Explorer
Charwoman Gene said:
A note about the NWOD stats. they correspond to "Power, Finesse, Resistance" in "Physical, Mental, and Social"

Just like the original DC Heroes game (although those three categories were Physical, Mental & Mystical). It was a point buy system, although traditionally you played one of the premade DC heroes. I'd post the run down, but I can't remember all 9 stats.

IIRC
Strength, Dexterity, Constution(?)
Intelligence, ?, Willpower
Influence, Aura, ?

SteelDraco

First Post
Old-School Deadlands - Generated by 12 draws, discard two, from a 54-card poker deck, resulting a range from 1d4 (Deuce of Clubs) to 5d12 (both jokers in a row). A Joker is a special card, and the suit of the next card drawn indicates the number of d12s you have in that trait. Jokers in the stat draw also indicate an unusual character trait.
Physical: Strength, Vigor, Deftness, Quickness, Nimbleness
Mental: Cognition, Spirit, Smarts, Knowledge, Mien

I loved generating stats this way. Deadlands is a fun system, and the use of poker cards throughout helps to bring the feel together, IMO. I don't think I'd want to play Deadlands with a different stat generation system, even if it isn't always the most equitable.

Fading Suns: Six primary stats, and six opposed stats, ranging from 1-10 for normal humans. Usually bought with points or determined through background choices.
Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Wits, Perception, and Tech are the normal stats.
Faith/Ego, Introvert/Extrovert, and Passion/Calm are the opposed stats. Opposed stats can't add to a total of more than 10. One is primary in each person, and starts higher than the other.

Opposed stats are a great idea. Love 'em. They really help get a quick handle on a character's personality at a glance, what drives them.

GURPS
Strength, Intelligence, Dexterity, and Health (ST, IQ, DX, HT), all purchased with the omnipresent character build points. I don't like GURPS stats. Maybe the new edition has changed things for the better, but I never felt like they were very balanced between each other. There are very few skills based on ST or HT, and GURPS is the quintessential skill-based system.

Blue Planet (going for obscure here, but I had it on my shelf, so I thought I'd answer. I barely remember how this game plays, and I don't remember being too fond of it. Great setting, though.) Stats range from 0 to 100 for humans, though genetically modified humans or killer whales (it's an odd little game) can have very different stats.
Mental: Awareness (further split into Chemical, Intuition, Touch, Vision, and Hearing), Charisma, Education, Experience, Initiative, Intellect, Will
Physical: Agility, Appearance, Constitution, Dexterity, Endurance, Speed, Strength

Alternity had character points with your normal D&D stats, slightly renamed. Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intellect, Will, and Personality, as I recall.

That seems to be all the games I have on hand that haven't already been mentioned.

sjmiller

Explorer
Classic Traveller
Attributes: Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education, and Social Standing.
Attribute Creation: Roll 2d6 for reach attribute, recording the number. Attributes are modified in the character creation process by rolls on skill tables and by aging rolls.

redkobold

Explorer
Fading Suns: .....
Faith/Ego, Introvert/Extrovert, and Passion/Calm are the opposed stats. Opposed stats can't add to a total of more than 10. One is primary in each person, and starts higher than the other.

Opposed stats are a great idea. Love 'em. They really help get a quick handle on a character's personality at a glance, what drives them.
Tell me a little more about how this works please.

Glyfair

Explorer
lyonstudio said:

Probably something like Pendragon passions, although Pendragon has a middle range. Whenever a PC has to make a choice dealing with the passion he rolls and must act at whichever extreme he rolls. If he rolls in the middle he gets to choose.

For example, on opposed set is Chaste/Lust. If he approached by a seductive young woman he rolls. If in the chaste range he rebuffs her, in the lust range he goes with her, in between then he gets to do what he feels is appropriate.

Though D&D players used to "I can do whatever I choose with my character" paradigms might think it's bad design, it works quite well at the feel of the era. King Arthur's knights were ruled by their passions and often did things that a modern RPG player would think is stupid (like sleeping with his king's wife).

Last edited:

CalicoDave

Explorer
Savage Worlds has Agility, Smarts, Spirit, Strength, and Vigor.

Each starts at a d4 and you have five increases to spend. Each increase will raise the die by a die type (max d12). So, for example, if you wanted to be very average you could use all five increases to have a d6 in each of the five attributes.

SteelDraco

First Post
lyonstudio said:
Let me go grab my FS book, so I can see exactly how this goes, so I don't set it up wrong.

At character creation, you pick one of each pair to be your primary stat for that pair. That score starts at a 3, the other starts at a 1. The two combined can't add up to more than 10. Most people will tend to have a few points in these, though they're not usually as high as the regular scores. If you get a bonus to one of these so that they combine to be over 10, one of them has to go down.

A person with a high Passion tends to have a fiery personality. They're emotional, react strongly to their environment, and really CARE about whatever they're currently involved in. Kirk would be an example of someone with a pretty high Passion - he gets emotional more than is really good for him. It tends to be used for inspirational and charismatic checks.

Somebody with a high Calm doesn't get riled easily, if at all. They might not be able to get deeply emotional. It's mostly useful for remaining cool in a firefight, as well as various mystical chicanery.

Someone with a Passion and Calm in the middle ranges can switch back and forth, or choose what face to display. Someone with low scores in both can't muster extreme emotion, but probably doesn't hide what he has very well.

Faith vs Ego measures how the character relates to institutions. Someone with a high Faith will tend to put his trust in structure, most often the Church or his lord. They look outside for inspiration. A person with a high Ego looks inside himself for his answers. They don't tend to care for structure, or put their faith in it. Faith rolls, obviously, are mostly used for theurgic rites (cleric magic, essentially). Ego rolls are mostly used for psionics, which tend to be a pretty self-centered art in FS. It's similar in concept, but IMO more elegant, than the Law vs Chaos divide in D&D.

Introvert vs Extrovert is just what it sounds like. Someone with a high Extrovert enjoys the company of people, and doesn't like to be alone. They're not necessarily likable, though - the boorish noble who nobody likes might well have a high Extrovert score, if he NEEDS to be around people. In FS terms, he has a poor Charm skill, and maybe a disad like Braggart or Boor. Target numbers are almost always Stat + Skill, with a d20 roll determining success. You try and roll as high as you can without going over your target number.

An Introvert prefers to be alone. Introvert rolls are usually for introspective, personal things, like writing and meditation.

The difference between the FS opposed stats and Pendragon's is that Pendragon's are, essentially, a measure of sin. I don't have a problem imagining any coupling of the three stats into a heroic person, but if someone is universallyon the side of sin in the Pendragon system, they're probably just evil.

SWBaxter

First Post
lyonstudio said:

Fudge is a toolkit for building games, it doesn't have a fixed list of attributes. The idea is that the GM decides what attributes are important for the setting s/he's got in mind. Usually, attributes are rated on a seven-level scale: Superb, Great, Good, Fair, Mediocre, Poor, Terrible; the exact method of rating them varies, but usually it's some kind of point allocation.

Harn by itself is a setting, not a system. HarnMaster is the system, I don't recall the attributes offhand.

Runequest by Mongoose

Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Size, Intelligence, Power, Charisma. Usually these are on a 3d6 scale, but exact generation method varies. A similar set of attributes is used in all the BRP-derived games (Call of Cthulhu, Stormbringer, etc.).

Body group: Health, Strength, Reflexes
Mind group: Presence, Intellect, Will

They range from 1 to 10 (possibly higher in a superhero-type setting), and are usually allocated via point buy.

Body, Mind, Soul. Adult human average is 4, values can range from 1 to 20 (depending on genre - higher values are only seen in the high-powered supers/anime settings), and assigned via point buy.

Lastly, are there some rpgs without Abilities? How do these systems work?

HeroQuest is the most common example, lots of indie-style games do this, Fudge can be played this way, too. Generally, they work by allowing the player to define a characters stats/skills/special abilities/etc. in a freeform manner, and then apply whichever one seems appropriate using a universal conflict resolution mechanic. For example, in HeroQuest you resolve two people fighting and two people having a debate in the exact same way, and it's quite possible for a character with no combat skills to try and talk his way through conflicts using his social-type abilities.

Remove ads