• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Survival adventure and spell components

Nimloth

First Post
I want to do more of a survivalist game, so the players aren't starting with all their equipment in a pile. As such, normal resources become precious and limited. My question is;

How many spells can you cast from a standard spell component pouch?
Is it written in RAW anywhere?
What would your opinion be?

I am allowing them to find material components for spells using skills or free if it is an obvious, "sand on a beach" situation.

Yes,
-I know about the Eschew Material Components feat
-the players know ahead of time (it is the begining of the campaign, not the middle)
-it won't be forever, just 4 levels or so

Jhaelen

First Post
How many spells can you cast from a standard spell component pouch?
Is it written in RAW anywhere?
What would your opinion be?
It's not spelled out anywhere, i.e. by RAW it's unlimited. The basic assumption is that you refill it whenever you have the opportunity to do so.

In a game focussing on resources being limited (and assuming players don't mind the tedious tracking), I'd probably set it to a fixed number of applications, e.g. five or ten, before a material component has to be refilled.

Note, however that this approach kind of defeats the reason for the existence of the spell component pouch, i.e. eliminating tracking of cheap and readily available components.

IronWolf

blank
I would just let the player know ahead of time that while resources are scarce and the mundane equipment can't easily be replaced that the spell component pouch only has "x" number of uses in it at the moment.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads