• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Surviving the Hool

Talon5

First Post
For those of you that have been following and helping me, thank you, this is an update from yesterday's session.

Grayson missed with the arrow of Dragon Slaying- the younger of the four dragons had Mage Armor up, and perhaps Shield as well. The other Players felt the doom more now then in the past week. They were also upset with my changing of what we had decided on, but as it turns out my sources were more correct then anyone would have thought.

Our Sorcerer- Lelenia, used her Hasting ability on one of our fighters- Cromwell, the flying dwarf gave us some hope in the battle that included about a half dozen Juju zombie’s- former soldiers of Keoland that had wandered into the marsh some years ago and had been effected by the Golthus Tree, roughly a half dozen Renegade Lizard Folk- including a cleric and a Shaman/Druid/witch, and not to mention the four dragons- three larger then one- Bileleaf.

Inya, one of our two clerics (she followed Wenta) attempted to dispel one of the dragon’s mage armor and ended up destroying a polymorph spell, changing the huge black into a huge crocodile! Lelenia would spend most of the rest of the fight dispelling polymorphs and mage armors and lightning bolting the former dragons. Bileleaf’s defenses dropped as well, this gave us an actual chance of hitting the dragon, as his AC was higher then anyone could hit with anything short of a miracle.

The three huge were Crocs and Bileleaf was the only Black Dragon. The GM caught some flack for that, but the relief was there, our chances of survival tripled in all our minds.

For the next few turns- Jack, our cleric (of Clangeddin Silverbeard) would spend most of his time in the mouth of one of the crocs. It was a good move because it meant we had one less croc to fight, but still it was a dangerous move (like he had much of a choice in the matter).

Without the arrow of dragon slaying Grayson wasn’t much of a threat thou he made the most of it. He did declare that he had more and that brought Bileleaf into close combat and kept the dragon off of his love interest Lelenia. Of course it nearly got the archer killed, but it worked.

The archer screamed for help and Amilor, our Paladin of Heironous (everyone should have one) charged in and did a few massive point of damage to the dragon.

In the middle of the battle- Milo, suffering from dragon fear battled Juju zombies, RLF clerics and druids with a former dragon chewing on his rear, while our resident rogue/thief acrobat Mel battle the former black dragon most ineffectively. The Halfling- Milo, would suffer hits that would take him into the negative hit point area, and to our fear very near death if not for the follower of Wenta.

The cleric of Gruumsh turned himself invisible and began assisting his companions with healing. The druid or witch or what every, he was died. The battle tides were changing direction quickly. Jack was saved by Lelenia’s lightning bolts and Lyada, an elven druid and agent of the Council of Oak from the croc, he was not to pleased but he was free and doing battle.

Wounded gravely the dragon fled, Lelenia used an extended, energy substitution (fire) Melf’s Acid Arrow on the dragon as it fled and the GM looked fearful that he would die, we all hoped that he would.

Mel spent the last few turns of battle trying to locate the invisible cleric, she fired her crossbow at where she thought he might be but lacked proper aim. Disappointed that she hadn’t done as much in the battle as others she returned to a war torn isle.

The only survivors were the evil cleric, Bileleaf and more importantly all of the PCs- thou it would take all but the clerics zero level spells (not to mention a lot of charges from CLW wands- they are our only healing wands- we have like three that have less then 50 charges total) to heal us all up to near full. There was only two uninjured people- Mel and Bromsby, our Gnome Wizard/Bard.

To the individual known as Contact, or (Contact) or something like that I would like to proclaim that for the last week I have been of the mind that we were gonna get wiped out because of an idea YOU gave the GM. While I thank you in hind sight, because it was fun and interesting, I would like to send you my ulser medical bills and I need a mailing address. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your help, it was very cool. Even you Contact, I will update our present situation sometime, thou I think we've got it from here. We just have serval hundred RLF, a two headed Troll (not an ettin, but a two headed troll), a dragon, a mid teen lvl druid, a wizard of at least 10th lvl and a Blackguard of perhaps 11th lvl to battle not to mention a single black dragon and what ever else I have forgotten- oh, ya- the Deepwood Sniper RLF.

Thanks again and later :)

Last edited:

Talon5

First Post
About 3-4 hours. Stuff happened afterwards too, but not as stressful nor as "oh, crap we're gonna die here!"

It was cool.

Altamont Ravenard said:
Wow, that's a nice fight... how long did it last, RL and game time?

AR

Talon5

First Post
Thats like blaming gun companies for a shooting. You made the choice to use the polymorph and the crocs.

coyote6 said:
FWIW, the giant crocodiles-polymorphed-into-dragons is mostly (contact)'s fault. :D

Ya, he's the GM. :D

Talon5

First Post
I would love to, but I lack any talent in writing and what I do write puts me to sleep. :)

Maybe I will consider it, but I have a lot on the table right now- need to get a new campaign started and work is a pain.

the Jester said:
Have you considered writing up your game as a story hour? Sounds like it would make a good one! :)

Endur

First Post
I had a much better one under the 3.0 polymorph rules. I had a Yuan-ti (special ability polymorph other 1/day) polymorph a warhorse into a hydra.

The horse just wanted to hangout and eat grass.

I had a very confused adventuring party. They fled from the Grass-eating Hydra and ran right into a trap that the Yuan-ti set.

coyote6 said:
FWIW, the giant crocodiles-polymorphed-into-dragons is mostly (contact)'s fault. :D

Endur said:
I had a much better one under the 3.0 polymorph rules. I had a Yuan-ti (special ability polymorph other 1/day) polymorph a warhorse into a hydra.

The horse just wanted to hangout and eat grass.

I had a very confused adventuring party. They fled from the Grass-eating Hydra and ran right into a trap that the Yuan-ti set.

That's..so...evil..*yoink* :cool:

Remove ads