• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Survivor: Core Classes There Can Be Only 1.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Argh, it was over before I could vote again.

Ah well, I like bards a lot so I'm perfectly happy with the results.

Wonder if there will be another one of these, time to go looking

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I'm pretty sure that all the monk hate is due to thematic dissonance, rather than bad design. The usual eastern-western flavor thing.

The main reason I love the monk so much is how easy it is to divorce itself from its Far East trappings. My last character was a Shadow Monk, a Wood Elf guerrilla fighter dual wielding hand axes. Any other edition that character would have been a Ranger. And way more boring.

Zardnaar

Legend
Argh, it was over before I could vote again.

Ah well, I like bards a lot so I'm perfectly happy with the results.

Wonder if there will be another one of these, time to go looking

I want to put another one up in a few hours. Thanks everyone for keeping it clean. Might do a pt 2 with some extra classes from other editions or break it down by archtypes. 3 hours or so and I will put a new one up.

delericho

Legend
Bard? How can the Bard win? Bards suck! Surely their only use is if you build a pile of their corpses for the Sorcerer to hide behind!

Olrox17

Hero
The main reason I love the monk so much is how easy it is to divorce itself from its Far East trappings. My last character was a Shadow Monk, a Wood Elf guerrilla fighter dual wielding hand axes. Any other edition that character would have been a Ranger. And way more boring.

Of course, I agree. Reflavoring is great for many things, it allows creativity within the boundary of established mechanics. I just think that, in a popularity contest like this one, people are probably going to default to their basic idea of the class.

For the monk, that idea is usually "chinese shaolin guy that somehow ended up in medieval europe". This is not my idea of a monk, but I can understand and respect that it is the idea of many people :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads