Suspension of disbelief and gamers

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
KenM said:
I can understand the DM not allowing us to destroy it by "normal" means. But I can't understand why the planeshift and leaving it someplace would not work.

Okay, I'm gonna be blunt. Blunt enough that you might not like what I asy at all.

The DM handled this badly, but one can perhaps forgive him for not being prepared for the case where the players are terminally dumb. Do the words "Love Canal" mean anything to you?

Did it not occur to you that a lich powerful enough that he could not before be permanently slain, dangerous enough that you should only deal with him in petrified form, could plane hop himself if he should ever become animate again? That would mean your "solution" would be about as effective as moving his statue three feet to the left, tossing a tablecloth over it, and hoping nobody notices him. "Bury it in a hole and hope nobody finds it" is hardly a solution to a major problem.

Now, again, I think the DM handled this badly. I suppose if "the gods" had previously been meddlesome then having them say "No!" was at least consistent. If not, the proper method would probably have been to allow you to do as you pleased, and make you live with the consequences - perhaps have the lich come back a year and a day later and whup your characters' sorry behinds into the afterlife.

The DM's decision may have broken your suspension of disbelief, but many GMs have problems applying lethal consequences to characters.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I would have accepted it if we were allowed to leave it on another plane and later on, he comes back for revenge. My problem is the DM just flat out said "no, you can't do that. I won't allow it" without giving a logical reason in game as to why not.
Another player mentioned that we seal the statue in stone, get on a boat, sail into the middle of the ocean and dump it out. DM said the same thing about that soultion as well.
I do agree that with this situation, the DM is handling it badly. Way too much railroading.

Last edited:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Umbran said:
Did it not occur to you that a lich powerful enough that he could not before be permanently slain, dangerous enough that you should only deal with him in petrified form, could plane hop himself if he should ever become animate again?

think you're missing the point of their plan. It seems from his intro that the Dm had set things up to show that it would take the efforts of an outside agency to bring the BBEG back to "life" - he wasn't just gonna wake up on his own. Having failed all reasonable and sane methods of destroying that which would bring him back, they decided to put him somewhere where it was highlly unlikely that other people would take the outside action needed to bring him back. Its actually a perfectly reasonable plan, especially if they kept the items needed for the transformation on their home plane, and continued to explore options for destroying them in their spare time.

The problem isn't that their plan was bad, it was that the players got the clear message that the DM had ONE idea for how the situation should be resolved RIGHT NOW. Even your implication that the Dm could bring the situation back to haunt them could go wrong, because next time he introduces some cheesy "force which will destroy anything" a player would go "cool, while we're at it, I toss in those problem gems so they can't ever be used... hey lets grab lich boy if we have time" and the poor DM would have to come up with some excuse for it not to work so they could eventually be punished for not doing it his way.

You can dress up railroading and call it "protecting the characters" but it won't stop the players from recognizing it as railroading, and losing interest in the game as a result.

PS, being blunt alone doesn't give your interpretation more weight than that of the person who actually expereinced it. And him "not liking it" also doen't make you right. So why not just phrase it as a different possible interpretation instead of trying to explain the 'truth' of a game interaction between people you never met?

kahuna Burger

KenM

Banned
Banned
A little more info, the gems we have gotten also fit into the breastplate. Each gem is a useful magic item in its own right. I have the one that allows water breathing. I'm the dwarf fighter in heavy armor, that will help me if I get dragged underwater at some point.
The breastplate is not part of the statue, its on the statue and we can't get it off, we think the way to get it off is to put all the gems in, but we are 99.9% sure that will bring the BBEG back, so we are not doing it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Kahuna Burger said:
think you're missing the point of their plan.

Not at all. I understand the point, but find it to be fatally flawed.

We don't know the mechanism for returning the lich to animiate form. As shown previously, if an outside agency is not required, KenM's plan is of little value. Let us now assume an outside agency is required. Moving the thing off plane does nothing to alleviate the risk.

If the statue was created a long time ago, we have empirical evidence that random passersby are not a notable threat, since the thing has been a statue for a long time. If the statue were created recently, the threat from random passersby is far less than the threat from a friend or servant of the lich, or someone who knows about the breastplate and seeks it. Either way, the credible risk comes from someone who is actively looking for the thing.

Let us assume it takes at least Stone to Flesh (or possibly greater mojo) to unpetrify the lich. Stone to Flesh, Contact Other Plane, and Plane Shift are all within a spell level of each other - meaning that an entity with the power to unpetrify the lich also likely has the power to find and reach the statue. Thus, merely moving it off plane is about as useful as burying it, or tossing a tablecloth over it. It doesn't stop the credible threats from finding and reanimating the thing.

[edit: Okay, maybe it requires the gemstones. Same logic applies. The party can plane hop, so anyone who can beat the party can probbly manage the trick. Moving the thing off plane makes it about as safe as simply walking away with the gems in your pockets.]

All of that, though, is rather besides the point. It shows the players weren't being particularly bright. The DM wasn't being particularly bright in only prepping for the case where the players are smart. So far, nobody is doing really well here :)

PS, being blunt alone doesn't give your interpretation more weight than that of the person who actually expereinced it. And him "not liking it" also doen't make you right. So why not just phrase it as a different possible interpretation instead of trying to explain the 'truth' of a game interaction between people you never met?

I don't claim that being blunt gives my thoughts more weight, or makes it more right. It was merely expedient (finesse takes more time than bluntness), and more likely to be noticed and considered in amongst the majority.

It is very easy, and common, to point a finger and say, "this person is to blame". But D&D is a game of cooperative storytelling. Part of the point of cooperation is for some to pick up the burden when another falters. If KenM had referenced this as a pattern of behavior ("My DM always does this type of thing!"), that would indicate a systematic failure to cooperate with his players, which is bad. However, as an isolated incident, it sounds more like a failure of cooperation on both sides.

DMs are human beings, and each has strengths and weaknesses. Few are capable of coming up with good interesting adventure material off the tops of their heads. Most depend on preparation - meaning that at the table their options may be limited. This is usually mitigated by prepping up to cover what seems to be the most likely scenarios. At those times, the DM hopes that the players will cooperate.

So - a habit of railroading is bad. But in a particular instance expecting the players to grab at the hook presented, and being caught unprepared when they don't, is merely human. The DM here wasn't fully prepared and didn't handle it well. But the players seem to have failed to see that sometimes they need to be ready and willing to go with what the DM has set up for them. Mistakes on both sides, I think.

Last edited:

Aaron L

Hero
If the DM was concerned about the fates of the characters, he should have allowed intellegence checks to realize how bad the plans were.

KenM

Banned
Banned
I don't mind going with the genral flow of what the DM has planned. But when the DM says flat out "I won't even let you try to do that" when we come up with a plan that might work, even if it goes against with what the DM has in mind. That really hurts the game.
If I was DM, I would let the players try some of these things, and have them fail. I'd have the BBEG come back to try and kill the characters, the characters actions have consiquences.(SP?)

Enkhidu

Explorer
It seems to me that the anecdotes we're seeing here are not problems suspending diselief (at least for the most part) but problems caused by gamers' more refined tastes in verisimilitude.

For many gamers (and for me personally), a campaign world must make sense. If the campaign doesn't make sense (for whatever reason), those gamers can lose IC immersion.

I don't think its a matter of not enough imaginiation, but instead a matter of an structured imagination trying to deal with situations without logical structure..

Remove ads