• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sustained powers that "Save Ends"?

ProdigalTim

First Post
I believe the issue that Danceofmasks is laboring to get across is the ambiguous referent of the '(save ends)' phrase.

Meaning, it can either be read as:

1. A successful save ends the warlock's ability to sustain the effect.
or
2. A successful save ends the effect itself.

If it is the former, the target would only be entitled to a save in the next round (if the warlock chose to sustain the power).

If it's the latter, the target would be entitled to a save at the end of their next turn.

Last edited:

Sunglare

First Post
I believe the issue that Danceofmasks is laboring to get across is the ambiguous referent of the '(save ends)' phrase.

Meaning, it can either be read as:

1. A successful save ends the warlock's ability to sustain the effect.
or
2. A successful save ends the effect itself.

If it is the former, the target would only be entitled to a save in the next round (if the warlock chose to sustain the power).

If it's the latter, the target would be entitled to a save at the end of their next turn.

Except that's the not how the game works. When a PC/NPC has a effect them that allows a "save ends" they do it at the end of their turn.

On a side note and was kinda mentioned. I can't find it anywhere that actuallly say sustain effects automatically last one round before you have to choose to sustain them. I'm starting to believe that you need to choose to sustain something just after you use it. That would probably solve this whole discussion. Maybe i just missed a FAQ or CS answer somewhere.

ProdigalTim

First Post
I'm aware of that, my point was that, depending on the interpretation, the *earliest* they could save would either be the same round as they were afflicted (if you go by interpretation 2), or the next round (if you go by 1).

Danceofmasks

First Post
In either case, RAW is made of fail in this issue.
'cos the very first rule of rules-lawyering is: if a rule can be interpreted in more than 1 way, it is not clear enough.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Except that's the not how the game works. When a PC/NPC has a effect them that allows a "save ends" they do it at the end of their turn.

Their point is that it doesn't gain the "save ends" attributue until you have sustained it, and you don't sustain it until your next turn, so the target has to deal with the effect at least once before it becomes a "save ends" effect.

By one interpretation at least.

On a side note and was kinda mentioned. I can't find it anywhere that actuallly say sustain effects automatically last one round before you have to choose to sustain them.

Hypersmurf quoted it in post 11 of this thread:

We need to look at p278:

Sustained Durations: An effect that has a "sustain standard", a "sustain move", or a "sustain minor" duration lasts as long as you sustain it. Starting on the turn after you create an effect, you sustain the effect by taking the indicated action: a standard action, a move action, or a minor action. (You can sustain an effect once per turn.) Some effects do something, such as attack, when you sustain them. A power's description indicates what happens when you sustain it or let it lapse. At the end of your turn, if you haven't spent the required action to sustain the effect, the effect ends.

LittleFuzzy

First Post

True but they don't save against effects they don't have and the effect never even shows up until the warlock has sustained it. There is no Effect line, it's totally unlike the effect listed on the Hit line. Things that you have to save against are actually supposed to have at least one turn's effect on a person, that's why you suffer effects from the beginning of your turn and don't make the save until the end of your turn, and why trying to skip your turn doesn't prevent that.

Sunglare

First Post
True but they don't save against effects they don't have and the effect never even shows up until the warlock has sustained it. There is no Effect line, it's totally unlike the effect listed on the Hit line. Things that you have to save against are actually supposed to have at least one turn's effect on a person, that's why you suffer effects from the beginning of your turn and don't make the save until the end of your turn, and why trying to skip your turn doesn't prevent that.

This is true but other characters have the option of letting said effected character make a pre-mature save so they can get rid of any condition, effect, etc etc on them. By saying that the target can not save until the warlocks chooses to sustain it your saying other character can not give the target a pre-mature save too. Also those similar effects usually happen on the targets next turn but Crown of Madness works only on the Warlocks turn.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
This is true but other characters have the option of letting said effected character make a pre-mature save so they can get rid of any condition, effect, etc etc on them. By saying that the target can not save until the warlocks chooses to sustain it your saying other character can not give the target a pre-mature save too.

Exactly. It's a daily, they are stronger than normal powers.

Also those similar effects usually happen on the targets next turn but Crown of Madness works only on the Warlocks turn.

Which is probably why you don't get a chance to save before the warlock has had a chance to use the effect at least once.

dammitbiscuit

First Post
Sustaining the zone power makes the zone persist, and the zone inflicts ongoing damage. That's why their saving throw doesn't end the entire effect.

"I made a saving throw - so much for your spell!" is supposed to be about as dead as "you failed your saving throw - you're dead!"

Sunglare

First Post
The party comes across a rival adventure group. There is bad blood between these groups.
The NPC's Warlock cast Crown of Madness on player A, "You guys see a deformed misshappen crown appear around Player A's head and he looks a little confused now, save ends".
Player B(Warlord) -"I use Hero's Defiance to remove the charm."
DM- "(imput response here)"

Remove ads