• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

SVM for Warlocks?

juliaromero

First Post
What are the rules for spell components for warlock incantations? I'm pretty sure it says that the eldritch blast requires somatic only (so it can't be done while grappled, right?), but it says nothing in any of the others except for an occasional mention of having to say something (making it fail, I assume, if you can't talk, though it doesn't explicitly say verbal component).

The important issue would be which ones work while grappled.

Do you just assume the default rule for spell-like abilities that done't require S,V, or M (with the exception of the eldritch blast itself)? If so, do you assume the mention in the text of having to say something for a few of them is just flavor text or rule text?

shilsen

Adventurer
Since the warlock's invocations are spell-like abilities, there are no V,S or M components. The same applies for the eldritch blast too (I can't find a reference which says that the normal rules for Sp abilities don't apply to it). Invocations are subject to arcane spell failure, unlike normal Sp abilities, since that is specifically noted in the ability description.

juliaromero

First Post
Right, but the arcane spell failure comes from the required somatic components, that's the whole idea behind the spell failure, right? I'm pretty sure it even says directly that you have move somewhat, or is this supposed to be a weird discontinuity? Armor might make your spell fail because it hinders you movement, but if you are completely tied up in light armor there is no problem?

shilsen

Adventurer
juliaromero said:
Right, but the arcane spell failure comes from the required somatic components, that's the whole idea behind the spell failure, right? I'm pretty sure it even says directly that you have move somewhat, or is this supposed to be a weird discontinuity? Armor might make your spell fail because it hinders you movement, but if you are completely tied up in light armor there is no problem?

Ah, I found it. The important info was under the Weapon and Armor Proficiency section :p of the class. It does say that "all invocations, including eldritch blast have a somatic component", so that should clear everything up. So, no V and M components, just S.

juliaromero

First Post
Under weapon and armor proficiency for Warlocks it says that all invocations, including eldritch blast, have a somatic component.

It does say they are "relatively simple" allowing the use of light armor. It doesn't say what this would mean in a grapple though which usually disallows all spells with somatic components.

shilsen

Adventurer
juliaromero said:
Under weapon and armor proficiency for Warlocks it says that all invocations, including eldritch blast, have a somatic component.

It does say they are "relatively simple" allowing the use of light armor. It doesn't say what this would mean in a grapple though which usually disallows all spells with somatic components.
Looks like we posted at the same time :) Since it saysthey have somatic components and you can't cast spells with somatic components in a grapple, I'd say you can't use them when grappled.

Elemental

Explorer
shilsen said:
Since the warlock's invocations are spell-like abilities, there are no V,S or M components. The same applies for the eldritch blast too (I can't find a reference which says that the normal rules for Sp abilities don't apply to it). Invocations are subject to arcane spell failure, unlike normal Sp abilities, since that is specifically noted in the ability description.

Actually, it specifically notes that Warlocks do need somatic components for their SLA's (unlike normal). They're subject to arcane spell failure with medium or heavier armour.

juliaromero

First Post
That seems to be a major drawback for warlocks then. They don't have a single ability that works at all in a grapple. And, by the rules, since more SLA's are still by default, there is no Still SLA feat. Guess I'll be house ruling someting about that to make it more fair.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads