• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swallow, too deadly?

satori01

First Post
Does anyone feel that 4e swallow is too deadly? 3e at least gave you an opportunity to cut your way out.
4e you have to kill the monster to be let out, and as many creatures w/ the swallow power are Elites or Solos....this is something that is not going to happen anytime soon.
Also the wording of the ability would seem to limit the victim to basic attacks w/ a one handed light weapon....sounds like someone w/ a Teleport power that does not require line of sight would not even have the action to use it.

Kinda strange that now Basilisks and Medusae take at least 2 rounds to turn you to stone, but if that Purple Worm eats you....you can kiss your tuckus good by.

Mort_Q

First Post
Only some of the smaller "swallowers" have the stipulation about using only one handed or natural weapons when swallowed.

That said, as I read it, the "swallowers" have to first grab the victim before they can attempt to swallow them, so there is still an opportunity to escape on their turn.

Not having seen them in action, I can't say for sure, but it doesn't sound too over powered, considering the role and level of the beasts.

4e combat is far more party focuses... so not being able to get out on your own is OK with me.

vhailor

First Post
1. IMO, it is realistic that the character can not escape, but if they leave it the way it is(no save, no escape) the creature (like crocodile) that swallowed the PC should get vulnerable X to the basic attacks of the swallowed character, since the inside of a creature can't be as hard as it's armor. Also, a critical hit should deal extra damage, or even kill the creature if it was bloodied. Yes, the more I see it the more I like it this way.

Only some of the smaller "swallowers" have the stipulation about using only one handed or natural weapons when swallowed.

That said, as I read it, the "swallowers" have to first grab the victim before they can attempt to swallow them, so there is still an opportunity to escape on their turn.

I don't think it will be very difficult for a Feymire Crocodile to bite a 7th or 8th level character and in the next round swallow him. Also the Feymire Crocodile "attempts to swallow a foe at the first opportunity." Imagine to lose your basic defender or striker in the second round of the encounter. You would have to deal 216 damage to a creatuer with regeneration 5. Also, the PC takes ongoing 10 damage. A 8th level defender has ~75 HP. If the croc deals ~15 with his bite attack (Reach 2; +17 vs. AC; 2d8 + 6 damage), that leaves 6 rounds to the rest of the party to kill the croc.

Mort_Q

First Post
I don't think it will be very difficult for a Feymire Crocodile to bite a 7th or 8th level character and in the next round swallow him. Also the Feymire Crocodile "attempts to swallow a foe at the first opportunity." Imagine to lose your basic defender or striker in the second round of the encounter. You would have to deal 216 damage to a creatuer with regeneration 5. Also, the PC takes ongoing 10 damage. A 8th level defender has ~75 HP. If the croc deals ~15 with his bite attack (Reach 2; +17 vs. AC; 2d8 + 6 damage), that leaves 6 rounds to the rest of the party to kill the croc.

Sure... it could happen. A level appropriate PC will have immediate interrupts that could prevent it. But it could happen, and it would suck.

It would also be interesting and exciting.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads