• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swallow Whole & Sneak Attack

RigaMortus2

First Post
This may be a silly question, but can a Rogue sneak attack when he is swallowed whole?

Swallow Whole
If a creature with this special attack begins its turn with an opponent held in its mouth (see Improved Grab), it can attempt a new grapple check (as though attempting to pin the opponent). If it succeeds, it swallows its prey, and the opponent takes bite damage. Unless otherwise noted, the opponent can be up to one size category smaller than the swallowing creature. Being swallowed has various consequences, depending on the creature doing the swallowing. A swallowed creature is considered to be grappled, while the creature that did the swallowing is not. A swallowed creature can try to cut its way free with any light slashing or piercing weapon (the amount of cutting damage required to get free is noted in the creature description), or it can just try to escape the grapple. The Armor Class of the interior of a creature that swallows whole is normally 10 + ½ its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity. If the swallowed creature escapes the grapple, success puts it back in the attacker’s mouth, where it may be bitten or swallowed again.

I am mainly wondering if a swallowed creature loses his Dex bonus towards the Rogue when he is swallowed. I know it says right in that quote that The Armor Class of the interior of a creature that swallows whole is normally 10 + ½ its natural armor bonus, with no modifiers for size or Dexterity. But does "no modifiers for size or Dexterity" really mean the same thing as "loses Dex bonus to AC? For one, a Dex bonus is a modifier, but a Dex modifier isn't necessarily a Dex bonus.

Dross

Explorer
There was a thread about this a while ago.

:\ I THINK that the outcome was that the sneak attacked didn't occur when swallowed, but wasn't 'definately proven' to a lot of people's satisfaction.

Some regarded a stomach a vital organ and thus sneak attack should always be included

Some noted things like concealment and similar stopped SAs.

Others noted the rules like you have, the Dex mod notation.

Well look at that. Answered the Q but provided no real useful info. :heh:

Festivus

First Post
It's in the FAQ:

Does a character who has been swallowed whole treat the swallowing monster as flat-footed?

The Sage thinks that’s a reasonable interpretation. The “swallow whole” entry on page 315 of the Monster Manual indicates that the AC of the interior of a swallowing creature has “no modifiers for . . . Dexterity.” While this isn’t necessarily quite the same as saying that the monster is denied its Dexterity bonus to AC, it’s pretty close.

In addition, it certainly seems true that the swallowed character has total concealment from (i.e., is “invisible to”) the swallowing creature, which would allow the character to treat the creature as flat-footed against his attacks.

Put together, this means that letting the rogue get gulped might make an effective way to defeat a swallowing monster . . . assuming the bite and ongoing damage doesn’t kill her.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Dross said:
Some noted things like concealment and similar stopped SAs.

Indeed. You have total concealment from the creature, so he may be denied his Dex modifier... but unless you have a light source or darkvision, he likely has concealment or total concealment from you, so no sneak attack.

If you can see, sneak away!

-Hyp.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
Indeed. You have total concealment from the creature, so he may be denied his Dex modifier... but unless you have a light source or darkvision, he likely has concealment or total concealment from you, so no sneak attack.

If you can see, sneak away!

-Hyp.

I made that argument before, but the DM overruled it. :\ Guess he never saw any of the movies where the hero gets swallowed and blasts his way out.

Funny thing though, if the swallowing creature has uncanny dodge, the swallowed sneak attacker can't sneak attack him. :confused: Beware the barbarian T-Rex. :uhoh:

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
Funny thing though, if the swallowing creature has uncanny dodge, the swallowed sneak attacker can't sneak attack him. :confused: Beware the barbarian T-Rex. :uhoh:

The T-Rex is immobilized with respect to the Rogue, and therefore Uncanny Dodge does not apply. That would be my ruling.

Dracandross

First Post
If FAQ says swallowed creature is counted as flat footed, shouldn't you get +2 to hit it?

I'd still say that its quite stupid that you can SA. You are inside a monsters digestive system, that should be designed to handle alive targets if monster can and will swallow whole. Also even as stomach/way there is a major organ it's same organ all the way. Fighter could swing same wall also. And you cant pinpoint any special, more vulnerable location (You can't sneak attack if you dont know anatomy), as you shouldnt be able to say which way is front/back.

For balance issues SA is ok though, rogue is not going to get out without it...

-Dracandross

Remove ads