• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Swashbuckling Rogue / College of Swords Bard

fredpag3

Villager
Hi,

This will be my first time playing DnD. Im looking at playing a Charismatic rogue with some spell casting. My character is an Eladrin adolescent who set out from they fey wild to prove to his father that he could make it as an adventurer and now can't seem to find his way home. I've step up my level one character as a rogue with dex 16 and Char 16. You can see my CS here of you're interested:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CTLOuKVgtInc5Pdf8YXRUVpZ6STm5raE/view?usp=drivesdk

My question is how viable would a college of swords / swashbuckler MC be. It seems that with the Dual Wielder feat it could be pretty strong.

I'm really just not sure about when to level each class. My group is going through a starting campaign starting at Level 1 and working our way to 5. We might continue after that.

I was thinking of going Rogue 2/Bard 3/Rogue 6/ Bard 6 and so one depending on requirements.

I'm just worried that if we stop at 5 I won't really be able to do anything.

Any thoughts? Should I just go Rogue straight to the end of the 5 levels and MC if we continue?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

Eric V

Hero
Don't have my books in front of me now, but pay careful attention to how each class makes demands on your Bonus Action; some combos may not be possible because of that.

Thematically, it sounds cool...

Aoirorentsu

Explorer
Since you say this is your first time playing D&D, I'd say pick the class/combination that works thematically. Who is your character? How were they trained? The CoSwords Bard and the swashbuckler do have some similar flavor, but why do you think it might be important to multi-class in order to express who the character is?

It is very difficult to make a character who truly "can't do anything" or who is meaningfully underpowered. The only way that can really happen is if you have one class that leans on one or two abilities and then you multi class into another that leans on different abilities. Like, my mastermind rogue / college of lore bard did fine, except I foolishly made Con his dump stat and he was very fragile.

Just my 2cp

GlassJaw

Hero
First time playing D&D? Ever? Stick with one class. Don’t worry about your “build”.

If you want some melee ability with spellcasting, go with Valor bard. Bard gets so much at every level. Multiclassing really delays your progression and the first 5-6 levels are really important for bard.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Figuring out who your character is will keep your interest in your character and the game much longer. It will probably also give you more spotlight time as you will be able to contribute at thematically appropriate times.

My recommendation is to spend some time looking over the backgrounds. They're an important part of character creation.

fredpag3

Villager
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

I'm actually really excited about the RP of my character. I can't wait to get him into the table for good and see how it goes.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
For the Swashbuckler Rogue, there are big payoffs at levels 2, 3, 4, and 5.
2 -- cunning action, using your Bonus action every round
3 -- more chances to use Sneak attack (and bonus to Init), 2d6 SA
4 -- ASI/feat
5 -- uncanny dodge, using your Reaction to avoid damage (potentially every round), 3d6 SA.

That's really solid (with more Expertise at level 6)

For the College of Swords Bard, there are big payoffs a 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6
2 -- healing and skill bonuses
3 -- level 2 spells, expertise, blade flourish
4 -- ASI/feat
5 -- Bardic inspiration recharges on short rest, level 3 spells
6 -- countercharm, extra attack

For my money, since you are playing through the levels, I would be sure either to hit Rogue 3 or Bard 6 before thinking about multiclassing (and I would strongly suggest that Rogue 5 is a great stepping-stone.

In the end, it will be an organic thing, though -- something in the story might mean tat you want to cast Unseen Servant or Detect Magic, and a level of Bard might feel right. But there's almost always a solid payoff to sticking with a single class for 5 or 6 levels.

As mentioned, it's probably best to stick to a single class if you are new, and both rogue swashbuckler and bard blade make for great swashbuckler characters. I would favour the rogue myself.

If you want to cast a little magic as a swashbuckling rogue, you can aqure the Magic Adept feat (warlock spells are a good pick), or choose the High Elf race.

Last edited:

Remove ads