• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swashbuckling-Style Rules

Bacris

First Post
Anyone know of any swashbuckling-style rules? Rules for dramatic maneuvers / flair / etc.

Skill tricks did this to an extent, but their implementation leaves me feeling as if it's only half right.

There are a lot of resources out there, but I'm not familiar with rules that could do this nicely.

moritheil

First Post
I know of many - in cinematic systems such as In Nomine and Exalted. If you're looking for 3.5 rules, well, maybe it's best to just houserule that. I'm not aware of any official rules that specifically cater to it.

TBoarder

Explorer
Book of Nine Swords warblade is the best Swashbuckler style character I've played in 3.x, outdoing even the actual Swashbuckler class. Diamond Mind and Iron Heart maneuvers fit the theme the best, I believe.

Darklone

TWF Swashbuckler/Rogue with Daring Outlaw is great if you have some support for sneak attacks.

Dramatic maneuvers and flair? You can't put that into rules. No matter how cool something might be, it won't if you use it the next 100 times.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Book of Iron Might, from Malhavoc. Iron Heroes, from Malhavoc. Book of Nine Swords, from Wizard of the Coast. d20 Swashbuckling Cards, from barsoomcore. . .

Tons of feats and custom classes all over the net. Um. . . I'm sure there are many other resources, too.

moritheil

First Post
Hmmm. Bo9S is certainly able to produce some dramatic maneuvers, but I had the impression the OP was looking for something less constrained and more free-form.

Bacris

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
d20 Swashbuckling Cards

These are closer to what I was looking for :) Thanks! I"d already checked out Iron Heroes and it wasn't quite what I was looking for.

I'm trying to avoid having to pigeon-hole it into a single class, like the warblade. For example, I could see Rogues pulling off swashbuckling-style effects. A rogue can be a daredevil, swaggering swordsman (shortsword is still a sword, after all), I'd rather it not be any one particular class.

And when I say swashbuckling, I'm talking about the grandiose, Errol Flynn style actions.

I think those cards will go a long way to what I'm looking for. :)

Thanael

Explorer
There's definately a Dragon article about this somewhere...

Edit:

Dragon 301 is the swashbuckling issue.

CAMPAIGN COMPONENTS: SWASHBUCKLERS
Prepare for a drubbing! Character concepts, new equipment, and complete parrying rules.
By Travis Stout

Last edited:

Remove ads