• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Swashbuckling with Cards - suggestions requested

Nellisir

Hero
I'm planning a short-term pirate campaign, and am thinking of using a deck of cards to add some chance and extra swashbuckling "flavor". Right now I'm thinking each character gets one draw off the deck per (encounter? session? adventure?) after a die roll, and can add double the card value to the die roll (+2 to +20 bonus). Significant villain NPCs get one draw they can use to give the PCs a penalty.

Questions are: how often should the PCs get to draw a card, and what happens for Jacks, Queens, Kings, Aces, and Jokers?

Cheers,
Nell.

Nellisir said:
I'm planning a short-term pirate campaign, and am thinking of using a deck of cards to add some chance and extra swashbuckling "flavor". Right now I'm thinking each character gets one draw off the deck per (encounter? session? adventure?) after a die roll, and can add double the card value to the die roll (+2 to +20 bonus). Significant villain NPCs get one draw they can use to give the PCs a penalty.

Questions are: how often should the PCs get to draw a card, and what happens for Jacks, Queens, Kings, Aces, and Jokers?

Cheers,
Nell.

Go look for an out of print game called Torg. It had 'dramatic action' cards that do precisely what you are looking for. No need to re-invent the wheel :)

But as a suggestion, 2 - 10 = +2 through +10 (+20 too high)

Face cards are 'special action' cards, doing the 'special action' on the part of the character grants the character an immediate reward through some game flavor mechanic.

Some examples:
Jack of Spades = 'Special Action: Taunt" - on a successful taunt of an opponent, any character can gain a +2 or +4 bonus to his or her next action requiring a roll affecting that target opponent.

Ace of Spades = 'Special Action: Trip' - on a successful trip attack against target opponent, the character can immediately attempt a full attack against the prone character (or a coup de grace, or attack with bonus damage, etc.)

You get the idea. That's pretty much what the dramatic cards from Torg do - though they also play havoc with initiatives :)

Need more?

Nellisir

Hero
Tilla the Hun (work) said:
Go look for an out of print game called Torg. It had 'dramatic action' cards that do precisely what you are looking for. No need to re-invent the wheel :)

I'll look for it.

But as a suggestion, 2 - 10 = +2 through +10 (+20 too high)

Number cards are face value, aces are +20. That works for me.

Face cards are 'special action' cards, doing the 'special action' on the part of the character grants the character an immediate reward through some game flavor mechanic.
Need more?

I need to keep it simple and intuitive; for the time being, I'm going to say suit won't matter. Also, pulling a card should have a benefit (almost) regardless of the character's actions -- I want to encourage their use in skill checks, for instance. Taunting wouldn't be much use in a Search check.

Jacks can be saved as an "interupt" to be used later?
Queens give a partial action?
Kings?
Jokers automatic failure & reveral of fortune?

Thanks!
Nell.

Dash Dannigan

First Post
Currently running a swashbuckling game myself. Adapted d20 Modern Action Points (fewer points per level and action points awarded for particularly heroic/swashbuckling maneuvers). Works absolutely great especially when a character is trying to do something dangerous or has a slim chance of success but they rolled hihg: "Would you like to spend an action point?" Always gets them on the edge of their seats. :p

Nellisir said:
I'll look for it.

Number cards are face value, aces are +20. That works for me.

I need to keep it simple and intuitive; for the time being, I'm going to say suit won't matter. Also, pulling a card should have a benefit (almost) regardless of the character's actions -- I want to encourage their use in skill checks, for instance. Taunting wouldn't be much use in a Search check.

Jacks can be saved as an "interupt" to be used later?
Queens give a partial action?
Kings?
Jokers automatic failure & reveral of fortune?

Thanks!
Nell.

Simple and intuitive?

Red = Good, Black = Bad

Jack = +x to skill or +x to next attack roll
Queen = +/- to damage roll (+2? +4?)
King = +1 Standard Action (non-attack, or non-spell) or just draw 2 more.

I kinda like the 'draw more' option. I draw King, 10, King, 8,Queen... That's 20 + 16 = +36 :)

But then I'm an ex-powergamer and that's a pg'ers move ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads