• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sweet20 Experience Rules Discussion.

Kemrain

First Post
Great! We have a way to mod the Key system so that it could still be compatable with the item creation rules in standard DnD. That should go a long way. Thanks, Genshou!

My group is still trying to work the numbers out, and I think we're going to level around once every 25 or so weeks. 2 or 3 sessions per week, mind you. Slow, but it works.

I'd still like to see more people come up with Keys for others to use. I posted some, so does anyone else have any ideas? I'll post more as soon as the other player in my group gets around to picking his. I'm really hoping we can compile a decently sized list of fair and balanced Keys.

- Kemrain the Hopeful.

genshou

First Post
Kemrain said:
I'd still like to see more people come up with Keys for others to use. I posted some, so does anyone else have any ideas? I'll post more as soon as the other player in my group gets around to picking his. I'm really hoping we can compile a decently sized list of fair and balanced Keys.
KEY OF JUSTICE
Your character has a desire to serve the greater good by ensuring that those who don't are properly punished. Gain 1 XP for preventing a minor crime (such as theft, vandalism, disruption of public peace, or other crimes that would have a person in the stocks for a day or two), or bringing the perpetrator to justice. Gain 3 XP for preventing a slightly more serious crime (such as attempted murder, destruction of property, minor treason, sabotage, or other crimes that would result in long-term jailing), or bringing the perpetrator to justice. Gain 5 XP for preventing a large-scale or heinous crime (such as murder, rape, sabotage on a corporate or political level, high treason, slow-poisoning the king to incapacitate him and establish rule as an usurper, piracy, rebellion, or other crimes which are typically punished by life in prison or execution), or bringing the perpetrator to justice. In all cases, the reward normally only applies if the target is kept alive to be given to the authorities. In special circumstances (GM adjucation), or when the character in question has been given either political or divine authority to execute justice, the character may still earn XP. Buyoff: Commit a serious or heinous crime without moral justification, or intentionally let a criminal escape from the law.

Kemrain

First Post
Very nice, Genshou. I like it! I'll have to show that one to my GM.

The other PC in my group has made a Key that works something like this:

Key of the Sage
You are a collector of rare, esoteric, and eclectic knowledge, and seek ways to both learn more and apply what you know. Gain XP whenever you gain access to a new or long forgotten source of knowledge, or when you can apply your knowledge to solve a serious problem.
Buyoff: Ignore a source of knowledge, or solve a problem with less cerebral means when your knowledge would have been a simpler solution.

I'm not sure if this is OK for most people's games, but for the character and player in question, it's perfect. (That and since he chose a lot of really useless keys initially we needed a way for him to compete with my character without taking over the campaign.)

- Kemrain the Unlocked.

runtime

First Post
Sweet20 disowned?

Sweet20's creator Clinton R. Nixon reveals:

http://sjarvis.com/2005/11/21/101-days-of-dd-reward-systems/#comment-108

"This’ll probably surprise people, but I wouldn’t use the Sweet20 XP system in a D&D game ever. I wrote it one afternoon while sitting in a courthouse to testify against a former boss, and just tossed it up on my website because I wrote it, not because it’s good."

Since Clinton no longer seems interested in Sweet20 (and the web site has languished), I mirrored Clinton's Sweet20 web site here:

http://www.lawfulneutral.com/sweet20/xp.html

I've added more Keys from other TSOY sources, changed some rules to work more like original TSOY (to make importing future TSOY Keys easier), and some rules about magic item creation (not yet playtested). If you have any suggestions for new Keys or rule changes, please feel free to email me at "sweet20 at lawfulneutral dot com"

What about backgrounds from Spycraft? If I remember correctly, you can start with or acquire 'backgrounds,' which are basically character hooks. Whenever your background gets involved, you get some XP, with the amount of XP being dependent upon how important to the adventure your background was. The thing is, if your background doesn't get brought up for I think 3 sessions in a row, you get XP anyway, as sort of a reparation from the GM for him not doing his job properly.

Me? I just tell the group "you level" whenever I feel they've done enough. Everyone levels at the same time. It's simple, and completely independent of combat.

Remove ads