• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

Baumi

Adventurer
I'm really happy about it. I'm not a big FR fan, but since all their books (especially the Adventures) are based on this region, we really could need more information about it.

It's especially useful for Newcomers, but it should be even interesting for FR Grognards since we still don't know what happened in the last 50 or so years since the 4E incarnations .. and it seems that many of the changes reversed (according to the maps) but with no good explanation.

The only thing that I don't like is the spreading of the Character Options. I like Splatbooks that focuses on that and not wanting to look at all existing books (and online ressources) to see whats available.

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
There is always something cool going on in the Realms products, to steal and plug-and-play into my own setting.

It seems pretty cool. I don't mind it being so region specific, I'm usually quite overwhelmed when trying to learn about an entire setting, thus, I will be able to digest things easier. That said, I'm not confident that they'll end up covering all the regions in FR. Consequently, that could very well end up triggering my OCD about being a completest.
I hope its a nice balance of crunch and fluff. I expect it to be quite lite on the crunch, given that they seem to be trying to make more of a conscious effort to avoid bloat and power creep (I don't quite know how I feel about that strategy though). Hopefully, most of the crunch will be viable (as opposed to, more so, a trap option, Spare the Dying).
My excitement for 5ed has faded (but no extinguished); but the advent of the demon AP, and Sword, is starting to pique my interest again, especially, if they add some new (old) monsters to the upcoming AP (I'm a bit burnt out on all the cultists as "new" monsters). I hope Sword Coast includes some monsters, as well.
It's a bit far off for me to get excited about this; and I'm certainly not eagerly anticipating Summer to end.
Overall, this announcement gives me a good vibe.

Yaarel

Hurra for syttende mai!
I would enjoy Forgotten Realms more if it lacked gods.

Heh, too bad the outcome of the Sundering wasnt, there are no gods.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
I hope I can qualify for the "Drizzit" subclass. ^_^ (only semi-kidding; Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance for the PS2 had Drizzt as some kind of Fighter/Ranger with mage spells)

I'm excited for new class options, but I can't help but feel that if they don't introduce new mechanics, the classes will probably just be re-shuffling of the already-existing subclasses and features. Not sure I'm excited for that.

Remove ads

Remove ads