• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword Coast Adventurer’s Guide: The First Official D&D 5E Setting

Yes, it is new, I was just creating a thread for it myself.

One issue of Dragon has more potential benefit then one super adventure. It just appeals to a wider audience. It would be like comparing a big apple to a basket of fruit. And you get at least six of those in the first year - before the release of the Monster Manual.

No Because Dragon was only 32 pages at the time and half of it had nothing to do with D&D.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
One issue of Dragon has more potential benefit then one super adventure.

Again, this looks to me like I am asking you to count jelly beans in a jar, and you tell me you don't want to count the flavors you don't like. Nobody is asking you what content you like. Why is that in any way relevant to counting the quantity of content?

It just appeals to a wider audience.

That's your personal preference, with no hard data to support. AND it's still not relevant to what we're discussing. What does any of this have to do with counting the quantity of content produced in the first year?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Again, this looks to me like I am asking you to count jelly beans in a jar, and you tell me you don't want to count the flavors you don't like. Nobody is asking you what content you like. Why is that in any way relevant to counting the quantity of content?

No one is saying you can not have jelly beans. I am saying that ADnD had more jelly beans, is that more clear for you?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
No one is saying you can not have jelly beans. I am saying that ADnD had more jelly beans, is that more clear for you?

But it didn't, at least not in the first year. Jelly beans is content. 5e has a larger quantity of content in the first year, than AD&D 1e had in the first year. It's not relevant if you don't like the 5e content, any more than it's relevant that you don't like certain flavors of jelly beans when asked how many jelly beans are in a jar. It really doesn't matter if you find content useful for your own game - if it's content, for the question of "how much", it counts. Even if it's a Dragon+ article you hate and which is totally worthless to you, if it's 5e content, it counts. Even if it's a mega adventure you will never ever think of using, if it's for 5e it still counts as 5e content. All 5e content counts for the question of "count the quantity of content". Which is the only subject I've addressed.

Henry

Autoexreginated
All 5e content counts for the question of "count the quantity of content". Which is the only subject I've addressed.

That actually doesn't count the whole story, because you have to remember that in AD&D's earliest days (1977, 1978) that OD&D content counted as "AD&D" content as well - in fact Gary wrote the AD&D monster manual as compatible with OD&D in order to generate more money to complete the AD&D project. I distinctly recall him addressing that point here on one of his Q&A threads but can't remember where. When the PHB came along in '78, it had a background of the greyhawk supplement, three white books, blackmoor supplement, etc to draw on, even if not 100% compatible, so AD&D was a weird beast in the initial years, or it could not have existed financially. So saying there was "just the MM, the PH, and a half dozen 32-page magazines" is not the whole picture.

Was there more content in terms of words and page count in 5e than 1e? Absolutely! It doesn't mean it was only 2 hardcovers and same magazines, though. It also means that I don't want to see that scarcity of support again. If it weren't for EN5ider and (just like with AD&D) using stuff from previous editions, I wouldn't be running a game right now, because to me Tyranny and Princes were real letdowns after the three core books and Phandelver.

joshinminn

Explorer
If WOTC released jelly beans I would totally buy them but they'd surely not be as good as TSR's jelly beans. It's like those generic Easter jelly beans vs. Jelly Bellies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads