• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sword Coast book - not really a campaign setting? And some speculations about the future

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
In view of the paucity of information about the post-Sundering Realms - and a vacuum in relation to whether or not, let alone when, that gulf will be filled - why run FR in the 5E timeline?

The 2E and 3.xE timelines are so staggeringly well-supported that nothing WotC can do will ever match that level of support, especially when they're got a skeleton staff struggling to keep up with a few web articles on top of their regular work.

Pick an earlier spot on the timeline and enjoy. And the information is available to new fans. Ignore pirated products: even the fan websites such as the FR Wikia have more than enough information to run a detailed version of FR set in the past.

The reality is that FR is not going to see the sort of support we've seen in the past so the easiest work around is to set games in the past and use the published material... or not. After all, there's a lot to use and an awful lot to ignore! :)

When the Sword Coast book was first announced it was presented as--or at least interpreted by the community as--more of a setting book. [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]'s announcement said "the first official 5E setting." Now it seems that it isn't quite that, that it is more of a combination of theme, splat, and setting book, with the setting part being tertiary to the player-focused splat and theme stuff. Is that correct?
We really don't know. They haven't said. We don't know the size of the book (likely 160-pages since it's... ahem... only $39.95 compared to the $49.95 the 256-page adventures are) or the ration of crunch to lore.

It also seems like this replaces the earlier elemental adventurer's book that was cancelled. Perhaps they wanted it less focused on PotA and more for general use in the entire Sword Coast region?
Green Ronin staff have stated that this book is entirely new. So if it did replace the Adventurer's Handbook, it did so before much work was done on the concept.

Anyhow, if this really is more of a player's guide, would it be jumping the gun to assume that a DM's book will be forthcoming in 2016, perhaps a full treatment of the Realms as a whole? It would just seem odd to put out a book for players that is not a true setting treatment, without a follow-up setting book.
Yes, it would be jumping the gun.

So far, WotC has proved they are doing things nothing if not differently.

Plus, WotC no longer really have the staff to write any books, and are licencing out every product. So they'd have to find a company capable of writing said giant campaign guide. Green Ronin is exhausting themselves with the current storyline and all their Fantasy Age stuff, while Sasquatch Games and Kobold Press are busy with their own campaign settings and Kickstarters. I'm not sure who'd have the time to add on another giant book.

I like this formula for settings:
*Core book for DMs - a $50 mega-book, ala the 3E Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting book.
*Players' "adventurer guides" for specific regions, e.g. Sword Coast, but perhaps eventually Dalelands and adjoining areas, and other regions; these would be based upon the story arcs as they come out.

Each adventurers guide could cover a large area. If Sword Coast includes Waterdeep, the North, and the Silver Marches, that's quite a lot of ground right there. The Dalelands book could include Anauroch, Cormyr, Sembia, and the Moonsea.

Maybe one such setting-oriented book a year, like so:
2015: Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide
2016: Forgotten Realms setting "DM's book"
2017: Dalelands Adventurer's Guide
First, if the FR book is a mega-book it'd likely be over 300-pages and thus $60. Be warned. For $50 you get 250-odd pages.

Second, they seem to be setting their storylines in the Sword Coast. So expanding to the Dales or Cormyr is unneeded as none of their stories are set there. They could expand into the Moonsea region, where the Adventurer's League content is set and provide options for that, but that would get in the way of the adventurer writers making their own content and "owning" the region.

Third, if the books are mostly aimed at players, other than setting lore, what else could they put in a book for the Dales that they couldn't put in a Sword Coast book? There'd be a crazy overlap of backgrounds, races, classes, feats, etc. That'd be a terrible way of differentiating content. If looking for a, say, a Thayan Refugee background neither book is different enough to help tell you where to look. If you cannot find content you want when you need it, the books are more of a hindered than blessing.

graves3141

First Post
Maybe the actual campaign setting won't have any crunch.

One thing is for sure, things are going to get complicated for new players when they start releasing non-FR stuff since they don't have any indicator that the Sword Coast is apart of the Forgotten Realms except a mention of Faerun in the description. Maybe they should put a Forgotten Realms logo on the book somewhere.

I've been wondering about this kind of thing too. In 3E, the FR books looked distinctly different from the other 3E books that were produced. I think that the cover of the SCAG book looking just like the core 5E books is an indicator that they have no intention of producing more Realms books like the SCAG. If there's only going to be one setting book, there's less need to differentiate it from the rest of your product line.

Like you say though, a FR logo somewhere on the cover would still be helpful.

Corpsetaker

First Post
From Candlekeep:

I stopped by Mike Schley's artist booth today. I did hear him tell another customer that he's working on another Sword Coast Map for the upcoming Adventurer's Guide, and that the plan is, if all goes well, for future products to also include other regional maps that will cover the rest of the continent. The impression I got was that all the maps will be able to be put together into one huge map. I don't know if that means future adventurer's guides, or adventures, or what, and I didn't ask. I figured he'd said as much as he could.

graves3141

First Post
From Candlekeep:

I stopped by Mike Schley's artist booth today. I did hear him tell another customer that he's working on another Sword Coast Map for the upcoming Adventurer's Guide, and that the plan is, if all goes well, for future products to also include other regional maps that will cover the rest of the continent. The impression I got was that all the maps will be able to be put together into one huge map. I don't know if that means future adventurer's guides, or adventures, or what, and I didn't ask. I figured he'd said as much as he could.

This sounds like great news but it doesn't seem very likely from where I stand right now. I mean, covering the entire continent or even a good chunk of it will take forever unless they radically increase their release schedule. One or even two Realms books a year will mean the Realms will be finished in what? 2020?

Doubtful they will stay with the Realms that long before moving on to another setting but I guess its possible. Maybe Mike is just doing some wishful thinking out loud with a fan.

gyor

Legend
A full proper FRCG and Player guide should have been first. This is just so back asswards.

And its one of region least changed by the Spellplague and Sundering, maybe the least changed period. They should have started in the region of the old Empires/Returned Abier which is the region most changed by 4e and likely to have been most changed by the Sundering, and yet we have no idea what happened to it during the Sundering, it very frustrating.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
This sounds like great news but it doesn't seem very likely from where I stand right now. I mean, covering the entire continent or even a good chunk of it will take forever unless they radically increase their release schedule. One or even two Realms books a year will mean the Realms will be finished in what? 2020?

Doubtful they will stay with the Realms that long before moving on to another setting but I guess its possible. Maybe Mike is just doing some wishful thinking out loud with a fan.

2020 seems fine to me (that would be four years total, give or take a couple months). And they do seem to be saying the rate will increase as they learn more about what the fans want.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
A full proper FRCG and Player guide should have been first. This is just so back asswards.

And its one of region least changed by the Spellplague and Sundering, maybe the least changed period. They should have started in the region of the old Empires/Returned Abier which is the region most changed by 4e and likely to have been most changed by the Sundering, and yet we have no idea what happened to it during the Sundering, it very frustrating.

Starting with the overview book would lock them down to certain things for, apparently, four years. That provides the least possible flexibility for WOTC to change and grown in directions based on player feedback of what the fanbase likes and dislikes. Doing it in this order also provides the most flexibility to adapt - starting with what's know, and slowly moving to the more unknown areas, ending with the most unknown, which allows for the most radical of changes based on player feedback that leads to this point.

graves3141

First Post
I don't know, is WotC really a company that's just poking around in the dark to see what works? They don't know what their own fans want? 5E is a great edition but WotC does not act like a leader in the industry and it's "strategy", if it has one, seems all over the place.

Remove ads