• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Sword coast legend questions.

Nagol

Unimportant
Again, meh. You don't spend 56 hours engaging in an activity you dislike unless it's your job or you're insane. I think the developer's response was wholly appropriate.

When I was still involved in MMOs, there was a game I desperately wanted to like since I loved its predecessor.

I got into the beta and spent nearly 200 hours over the course of 6 weeks trying things, providing feedback, and trying new iterations hoping I was simply not "getting it" and the game would snap into a place. It was not to be. I felt the game, frankly, sucked. I did not purchase it on release. I hear it stumbled badly out of the gate and was eventually shut down after 3 years in 2005 -- its predecessor survived until 2014 giving it a 15 year run.

The developer's response was understandable, but not appropriate.

CaptainGemini

First Post
Again, meh. You don't spend 56 hours engaging in an activity you dislike unless it's your job or you're insane. I think the developer's response was wholly appropriate.

Maybe in the old days, but anymore 56 hours really isn't that much. It's not unusual to see someone with 200+ hours on a game they gave a terrible review to.

56 hours, anymore, usually isn't even bothering to complete a full playthrough of the game when it's an RPG.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Maybe in the old days, but anymore 56 hours really isn't that much. It's not unusual to see someone with 200+ hours on a game they gave a terrible review to.

Do you have some examples? Because so far every single one of the SCL reviews I've read gave bad reviews after less than 5 hours of "play time". I put that in quotes, because most of that time was dealing with crashing.

Personally, I can't see how anyone with a deadline can spend 200 hours on a game before doing a review. That's more than a month playing the game, 5 days a week, 8 hours a day. I don't know ANY reviewer who does that. But I admit I could be wrong. But I'm betting I'm not wrong when I say that that is unusual for someone who hates a game to spend that much time on it.

Gnashtooth

First Post
I was there in the old days and, unless something VERY weird has happened to the Space Time Continuum, 56 hours then was almost precisely 56 hours today.

Good job ignoring the intent and context of his reply, so you could work your snark in, smart guy.

Next time I need to sync the time on my computer, I'll set it to you instead of time.nist.gov.

Last edited:

jhingelshod

Explorer
Good job ignoring the intent and context of his reply, so you could work your snark in, smart guy.

Next time I need to sync the time on my computer, I'll set it to you instead of time.nist.gov.

I'm sorry if it came across that way. It was meant to be a light hearted comment. No offence intended.

56 hours isn't long for an RPG but it's still a long time. You could beat several good AAA games in that time. Apart from Sandbox games, video games feel shorter these days. Even trying to master the DM tools and test them - which can take a long time - 56 hours is a lot. Eleven days of playing for 5 hours each day.
You can generally tell if you'll like a game or not from a lot less than that. I'm likely clocking <20 hours between the launch and head start and I know the game is ass.

Reinhart

First Post
Keep in mind, when the 56 hours were put in was during early access without the single-player campaign. Essentially this person spent 56 hours during the early access to test out the DM mode and see how it was coming along. They weren't beating the game and then demanding a refund, they were testing the tools and determining they weren't worth owning. Perhaps some people think that the single-player content makes SCL worth buying, but this person was clearly more motivated by the value of the promised DM mode. We should at least agree this wasn't a rush to judgement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads